Snow Midge

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Was talking to a guy minding the store at Marblehead Fly Fishing while Terry, the owner, is on vacation. We got around to talking about fishing Valley in the wintertime and he says he has had good luck with fishing a Snow Midge. Never heard of this Fly and I searched our site for "Snow Midge" with no results. Wonder if any of you know where I can buy this fly as I no longer tie. Here is a good website for identifying bugs.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/03/06/snow-midge/

Some people call it the snow fly, but in the past because the early black stonefly was also called the snow fly it was confusing. IMHO the stones are much more important then the midges this time of the year, because they are bigger

fadeaway263 wrote:
Was talking to a guy minding the store at Marblehead Fly Fishing while Terry, the owner, is on vacation. We got around to talking about fishing Valley in the wintertime and he says he has had good luck with fishing a Snow Midge. Never heard of this Fly and I searched our site for "Snow Midge" with no results. Wonder if any of you know where I can buy this fly as I no longer tie. Here is a good website for identifying bugs.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/03/06/snow-midge/

Midges hatch just about 365 on Valley (as well as many other streams).

Try tying a black midge in size 24 +/- a hook size, with a black thread body and a wing made from a small tuft of dun CDC tied on top and trimmed a little longer than the body.

Attachments

• Black Midge.jpg
    Black Midge.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 4
You don't need to get fancy on Valley in the winter. I fish an 18 tan caddis as an indicator with a 22 black zebra under it and consistently catch fish. You'll be surprised how many bites you get on the caddis indicator in the dead of winter.

I had some great days at Valley in Feb and March. Olives can be hot.

afishinado wrote:

Midges hatch just about 365 on Valley (as well as many other streams).
Couldn't agree more, I'm a 12 month a year midge fisherman.

Back