Snap, I did it again.

Baron

Baron

I snapped my second White Water Canyon rod at the exact same place and am wondering what the options are. Are they junk now? Can they be rejoined? Third eye, first one above the ferrule. I got them for $69. 9' 6wt.

Almost anything can be repaired. The effect on the rods action and feel may be different, OTOH with a rod costing in the "bargain basement" price, the action may not be affected much at all.

What weight rod is this that broke? And what were the circumstances that it broke under?

That would enough to make me try something else.

The first time I broke it I was doing what I had just read to never do. while loading the eyes the line/leader loop caught. so I reached out and yanked it through the eyes and it broke the rod very easily. That was a year ago.

Yesterday I was at the dock in my drift boat and my wife was out on beach talking to a friend. All the sudden the dog did what he Never does and jumped out. he caught the hook somehow and yanked the rod and snap. I guess the hook was caught on something on the dog that didn't hurt because the fly fell off the dog and both the tippet and rod were broke. He could tall I was upset and didn't know what he'd done. He is such a great buddy and goes with me everywhere and I let it go.
The 2 poles are identical graphite and cast well. I've never been a fan of graphite as it is brittle and I was never sure I could produce an environment safe for graphite. Never broke a fiberglass rod.

med, fast tip 6wt, 9'

1st - Who makes that rod as I don't recognize the name?

2nd - Like Steeltrap says, it can be fixed, typically by using what rod builders call a "stent" which is a short section of SOMETHING glued INSIDE of the blank so it extends about 1.5" or so on either side of the break. Ideally, the stent is made of the same material as the rod but I have heard of people using metal and other stuff.

After the glue sets, rod building thread is wrapped over the break for additional reinforcement. If you use white thread and varnish it, it about disappears. How the rod behaves after the repair will always be a question until you try it out.

Considering what you paid for the rod, if you are handy it is worth a shot. If the rod has a warranty, that may also be an option or maybe you could trade up to a better model?

BTW - If you busted two, you may have a source of material for a stent.

Also - If you busted two the same way, you may also want to review your technique or behavior which caused the break or move on from that brand… ;-)

Good luck!

Baron wrote:

The 2 poles are identical graphite and cast well. I've never been a fan of graphite as it is brittle and I was never sure I could produce an environment safe for graphite. Never broke a fiberglass rod.

I was about to suggest that if you're prone to breaking rods, you should consider fiberglass. Looks like that thought has already occurred to you.

At the price you paid, I'd almost consider the rod disposable. I wish I could get a year's worth of use out of every $70 I've spent on waders, for example.

Both of these breaks were well off the water and were behavioral anomalies. In other words I was careless. The rods were not especially dear to me but they worked. I am also now suspicious that they are not really rated as suggested as the broke with ease. What if I’d caught a snakehead or pike, Snap!
I may fix it, as Bam suggested, using the other for a stent. I may also add one external layer of 6oz cloth in epoxy.
In the meantime......back to my old 6wt fiberglass Martin 8 footer.

redietz wrote:
Baron wrote:

I was about to suggest that if you're prone to breaking rods, you should consider fiberglass. Looks like that thought has already occurred to you.

At the price you paid, I'd almost consider the rod disposable. I wish I could get a year's worth of use out of every $70 I've spent on waders, for example.

Keep dreaming!!!!

Baron wrote:
I may fix it, as Bam suggested, using the other for a stent. I may also add one external layer of 6oz cloth in epoxy.
I am the furthest thing from a rod builder, but I think adding an external layer of 6oz cloth in epoxy will dampen the action too much and isn't necessary.

To be honest, neither is a thread layer, but it is what I have seen done however, some advocate an over-sleeve as well??

If you are considering the stent (or stint as some call it) route, do some research first as I am only passing along an idea to be helpful, not as a rod building expert.

BTW - Don't knock graphite. I have only snapped one rod in two while fishing and it was a fiberglass rod!! Don't know why it happened but it was repaired under warranty by replacing the broken section.

Also, if the "snap" happened around a car, you need to do what I did and make or invest in some sort of magnetic rod holder to keep it out of harms way until the doors are closed... ;-)

These were Action Picture style breaks. On set, acting it out. I'm not knocking graphite. Its more like it doesn't like me or my carelessness. I am a fan of good old fiberglass but it is heavier, usually.
I do admit that graphite is much higher performing when tossing things a little further.
It was cheap at $70.
I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

I did it again! Third rod in 10 months SNAPPED!!!!!!

And the ink isn't even dry on the original post.

This time, again off the water. the boat was loaded and I was off parking the truck/trailer. My very trustworthy Grandson saw the boat swing in the wind at the dock. It was too late......CRUNCH. The boat pinched the rod btwn the dock and crushed the second of 4 tubes flat.

No more. Ordered a cheapo Eagle claw fiberglas for $35. Until I have a boat with official fly rod holders there will be no more graphite flyrods on board.

I remembered way back when Graphite first began taking over the industry, thinking how can they be so great, they're hollow. But I bought into it and never had a problem when spinning fishing. Since taking up FF a year ago I have broken 3. I used to have my mouth water when I'd see some of the new 300-500 dollar fly rods that are out there. But until I can equip the boat better it will be fiberglass only. After all I prefer the feel of a medium/medium action anyway.

I’m not a real believer in “bad luck” but you’re pushing the limit there Baron!

Coy, it might be a world record. :-D

What is the level I should expect with the 7/8 8'6" eagle claw glass rod?
coyoterahn wrote:
I’m not a real believer in “bad luck” but you’re pushing the limit there Baron!

Back