smooshed flies

daman1277

daman1277

Ok have finally gotten around to organize my fly boxes to have some semblance of order to them. I noticed that some of the dry flies I bought back when I first got started and putting things in any fly box are smooshed now. Is there anyway to fluff them up again or is it a lost cause?

I THINK HA once said you can steam them and bring them back to life? Might want to ask him before listening to me.

Yes, boil water put a strainer with your flies in them over top of the boiling water.

Do I have to do anything like brush them out or should they regain their shape just from the steam?

They should regain their shape.

I fish alot of boogers n streamer type flies, n one thing that I've found is drying them via, hanging them from the dash vents in my truck with the heater. Maybe a good soaking and let me hang.

Takes them wet wads of whatnot and usually by the time I'm home, or after the next drive they're fluffy nice n good as new, vs. letti g them dry in the box, as matted little balls.

daman1277 wrote:
Even the hackle

Yup - even the hackle. Only takes a few seconds.

When you're done, spread the flies out on a paper towel and let them dry overnight before putting them back in your fly box.

DJBerg wrote:
I fish alot of boogers.

Don't know if that will fly in FFO. Is that considered bait?

Gracias. That image is now firmly burned into my mind.
:lol: :lol:

ryguyfi wrote:
DJBerg wrote:
I fish alot of boogers.

Don't know if that will fly in FFO. Is that considered bait?

Do them over a pan of boiling water in your forceps one att a time and an old toothbrush is not a bad idea just to finish them off GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Back