Smokies

T

thesmayway

Heading to Cosby TN the first week in September just outside if GSNP. I know the area is polluted with trout streams but I'm wondering if anyone has been and has a few favorites in the Cosby area. Can't wait! Thanks in advance

I have enjoyed a half-dozen or so trips to the park, but entirely from Gatlinburg westward. I have no knowledge of streams on the east side. Still, within the park, the streams are not stocked. Nearly every stream with year-round water holds a decent population of wild trout, brown, rainbow and brook trout. The brookies are at higher elevations, the brown at the lower elevations and rainbows throughout.

Find the nearest park entrance that doesn't take you through a tourist trap area. Then, find the largest watershed and once you are in the park, surveil the stream as you travel "up." Most tributaries of the main stem in the watershed will be fishable. Areas that move away from the roadways tend to be better, but there are some great spots, just off the roadways.

I can recommend ways to explore if you have specific questions. According to my Google search, Cosby is north and east from Gatlinburg. If this is not correct and it is nearer to the Gatlinburg or Townsend entrances, I may have more specific advice.

Here is a great map for park fishing:

Rather Large Smoky Mountain NP Trail map PDF file

I would personally consider studying ahead on the Little Pigeon River drainage. The main stem in the park and all the various sub-basins.

Also, if you fish exclusively within the park you only need a basic TN or NC fishing license-- either state on both sides of the park, as long as you are within the park boundaries. The short term NC license was cheaper last time I checked.

I was down a couple of years back, and stayed in the Cosby campground for a few days. Primarily a family trip, but I did a little fishing. Just couldn't get too adventurous as no outing could be more than a few hours.

1. Cosby was my favorite area we visited. It only accesses a small area of the park. Thus, the campground was among the least crowded, and the "outside the park" area wasn't quite the tourist trap that other locations were. To access the center of the park it required a drive and going through the tourist trap that is Gatlinburg, though.

2. Cosby Creek was among the better fishing streams I fished. I didn't try it farther down, I fished around the campground and up. But ran into fair numbers of fish, and a mix of brookies and bows.

When we did move for a change in scenery, we went to Townsend. It's semi-touristy, and offers good access to the main areas of the park. Was still nice. We avoided the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area like the plague. It's a ridiculous tourist trap, just sprawl with a very fake facade and crazy traffic.

P.S. If camping, generally the NP campgrounds are FAR nicer than the private ones in that area. The private campgrounds are typically more like RV parks, and they really stuff everyone close together. They have that "urban" feel.

That said, the one downfall is that the NP campgrounds do not have showers. At Cosby, there was a private camground just outside the entrance which advertised that they'd let you take a shower for a few bucks. It was well worth it to stay in the park and drive down there for the shower.

The nearest full size grocery store and other supplies is up in Newport. Once you get into Cosby, there's a few little "camp store" type places with the essentials. Newport was like 20-25 minutes from the NP campground.

There are a couple of hiking trails that go up between Cosby and Gatlinburg. They're not well marked or real easy to find but a guide book should help. No real fishing on those, though. Just nice hikes with some preserved old cabins and such. Also, if you still want wilderness but want to avoid the hustle and bustle, instead of going west towards Gatlinburg and the park, go east to the national forest. I don't know that area at all, but I'm told the fishing is as good if not better than in the park. Scenery is very good as well, not the super high peaks but lots and lots of mountainous forest.

As far as fishing licenses go, if you are not in the park, just be aware of what state you are in! I think both state's licenses cover anywhere in the park.

Thanks guys, we're renting a house right on Cosby Creek which i've read is a good one (and pcray agrees). I think they stock the lower stretches of the stream but there aren't many stocked streams in the area which is awesome

Woohoo! My wife surprised me and booked a guide as an anniversary present!!!!!!!

Back