Smokey Mtn area?

K

kbobb

Hi All,
Anyone fished the Smokey Mtn Natl Park area and if so do you have any recommendations for places to stay and streams to visit? will likely be a fall trip combined with hiking and photography.

Thanks

Recently came back from the Smokies. Most of the streams in the park have smaller sized Rainbows and browns. Higher elevations have Brook trout. Beautiful fish and I loved fishing there. I stayed closer to Cades Cove and fished in that general area, but the park is filled with tons of small to medium mountain streams. Any of the water that branches off the Little River in that area should hold fish.

You can buy your license online and take a screenshot of it in the event you need it since you will more than likely have little to no cell service. As long as you are fishing within the National Park you can get the “No Trout” license in a 3 or 10 day variety. I know the “No Trout” seems odd, but I did check with the local fly shop.

I would recommend a wading staff if water levels are up because the water can really move. Another helpful hint I was told is once you’ve caught a fish move on cause they are really spooky.

Some of the other water in the area outside of the National Park is stocked but I’m not sure if they do a fall stocking.

Also, if you’re planning on any of the more popular trails I would get there early. The lots fill up fast and I’m assuming it will be so in the fall.

As far as places to stay, we camped, so can’t help you on that front. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are tourist traps, but plenty of hotels if that’s you’re speed.

At the National Park visitor centers they have a Smoky Mountain National Park fishing guide you can pick up for free.

Hope this helps and have fun.
BB7B8849 EC20 408E B79B C9B90279105D
2E7FC881 65D3 4FA2 B06F 16B260DEAE6B

It's been years, and I don't have extensive knowledge, it was 1 week in mid-summer, and I know you can't judge places like that. But my memory...

Cosby Creek - Camped there, kind of away from the hubbub of Gatlinburg, was the nicest park campground I thought. I caught all 3 species right by the campground. Was a place you could really get into them without going waaayyy in and without ridiculous crowds. I liked that place. There was good hiking around too, and you could hike to some less travelled big falls and such, some of the streams along the way looked very inviting.

Gatlinburg was a traffic hell. Yes, we went, you kind of have to in order to say you were there. But I hated that town with a passion. Terrible traffic, everything's a fortune and "fake country" touristy stuff.

We did the Roaring Fork motor trail out of Gatlinburg, which is a pay to ride touristy trap thing. The nice thing was all the people on it were sightseeers or short hikers to see waterfalls and stuff, there weren't any fishermen. On the ride out it parallels Roaring Fork, and while the (now ex) wife parked and did something or other I took the rod down to the creek and proceeded to catch a pile of smallish rainbows in a very short time right by the road.

We jumped over to Townsend, which was a much more laid back place to stay, the difference between Gatlinburg and there was very noticable. We camped right on the Little River, and I fished it hard each evening, to no avail, but we were probably too far downstream. Bigger water, tuber hatch, heavily stocked and water was getting too warm. Little River Outfitters in Townsend was a very good fly shop.

Went through Cade's Cove. Hike along Abrams to Abrams Falls. Abrams Creek didn't impress me none where we were at (from Cade's Cove down to the falls). I only fished a little and caught nothing, but hiked a good stretch and it just didn't look all that attractive. Might be better to hit the lower end as it comes out of the park and fish up, gets into better country up there. Cade's Cove was kinda interesting with some of the old buildings and such, but, it's just a farm valley in the mountains. Yeah there was wildlife but too many cars, every animal caused a traffic jam. Oh my God it's a deer, everybody stop and cause a 45 minute traffic jam!!! Was kind of the area everyone points to in the park, but it was not among my favorite areas.

Parked and fished a couple spots along Laurel Creek. Didn't do any good.

Spent much of a day fishing the the Little River above Elkmont, which was supposed to be good. This was my dedicated full fishing day, rather than stealing and hour here and there. I covered 4 miles or so from Elkmont up. I caught a couple of fish, including a real nice brown, but it was dissapointing!!! The fish were there but very skittish and you could tell it was fairly heavily pressured.

Drove up the Middle Prong to the upper most parking area, walked down, and and fished the upper most mile or so back up. This area was nice and I did pretty well. All rainbows but some sizable ones. Continued up one of the branches, I think it was Lynn Camp Prong, and did well there too, with brookies.

Drove over the top, did Clingman's Dome and such. Kind of a must see on the tourist side of things. The highway follows the West Prong of Little Pigeon River up to the pass. It looked inviting but I did not take the rod that day, just jumped out and looked in a few spots. My kind of place but the highway is right by it. Crossed into North Carolina, did not do any fishing on that side.

Last edited:
I've fished there once, in March if I recall. We stayed in Gatlinburg (had the wife and kids with me) and even in March it was a tourist trap, but not terrible I guess. I fished a couple of different streams including Greenbrier (I think it's a fork of the Pigeon maybe?) and another stream headed towards Cades Cove that I don't remember the name of (beautiful stream though). Lots of small, wild trout and a few really cagey older/bigger browns, but I didn't really fish much at all and would love to go back at some point.

I don’t have much fishing related to add here. Every post above covers it. I just got back from Pigeon Forge. Lots of people. It was observed that Gatlinburg is the Myrtle Beech of the Smokey’s.
But man the place bears! Saw 4 in as many days.

Hi All,
Anyone fished the Smokey Mtn Natl Park area and if so do you have any recommendations for places to stay and streams to visit? will likely be a fall trip combined with hiking and photography.

Thanks
PM sent...that's like my second home.

Thanks folks - appreciate the info, very helpful.

I gotta say just perusing maps of the Smokies, as well as western NC and the forests there. Their naming conventions, geesh.

The west branch of the north prong of the east fork....

I booked a half day with Smokey Mountain Outfitters. It was worth it to go with someone that knew the area

Steve

Lynn camp prong was my favorite and a special stream to fish. Loaded with bookies and a great example of a successful reclaimation project(one of the many streams below the mason dixion where invasive rainbows were rotenoned out and we got brookies back ). Dry dropper is awesome there lots of plunge pools.

Back