Smith sunglass lens recommendation

L

lycoflyfisher

Due to unfortunate events I am in the market for new shades. Had a pair of Maui Jim gray glass lens that were pretty solid all around glasses for driving and fishing. A little dark for low light, but you have to make a sacrifice somewhere for an all around pair.

I am able to get a substantial discount on Smith. I know we have some sunglass snobs on the forum, anyone have a recommendation for chromapop glass lens color? Thoughts on the polarchromatic lens? Looking for an all around pair. Sort of narrowed it down to chromapop glass gray or brown, should I consider others?

I always go brown/amber for polarized, seems to be a bit better in lowlight/overcast conditions.

It's been maybe 6+ years since I discovered the 40% VLT Low Light Ignitor glass. Was so impressed I bought a backup, but then this was the golden age of Sierra Trading Post (before being bought by TJ Maxx) so they were under $100 each. However, for me they are too bright in sunny conditions, so I carry Costa glass for those times. They fit in the same case.

Smith has likely added to its lineup since so check the colors and VLT ratings. I would avoid the regular Chromapop polycarbonate lens and get the Chromapop+ Trivex or techlite glass. I have not tried the Chromapop glass. I did not care for the polarchromic copper glass.

I second the Smith Ignitor glass. It's a game changer!

I'm a big Smith fan as well. Amber/brown is a good choice since it is better in low light conditions - when fishing is better. I also have a gray pair for bright days and general use since colors are better with gray.

My biggest issue with Smith is that it can be tough to figure out the width of their glasses and I suggest you try on (or rummage through specs) to get the right size. I know models that fit me after experience. BTW, for less expensive sunglasses I really like Smith's Suncloud brand. Not all the bells and whistles, but optically correct and work just fine at a good price.

Smith makes some good stuff.

I do not have a pair of Smith's myself, but I've tried a few, and I'm familiar with what they make. I will likely get a pair at some point. I recommend glass lenses for fishermen, always, which pretty much limits you to Smith, MJ, Costa, and maybe Ray Ban? Anyone else still making glass? All of those make plastic lenses too, so pay attention to what you're buying. The polarization is simply better in glass. Stressed plastic alters the polarization angle of light, reducing the effectiveness of the polarizer.

And as high a VLT as you can get. Your gray MJ's were MJ's darkest lens, great for off shore and full sun, not great for woods, morning, or evening.

Now to the nuts and bolts. Smith has led the market in low light (high VLT) lenses. The ignitor series. Costa has it's Sunrise lens and MJ has it's HT, and both are excellent, but Smith is higher in VLT than either. However, the Ignitor lens color was part of their Chromapop series, which, until recently, only came in plastic lenses (Costa did the same thing, leaving MJ as the only way to get a low light lens in glass). Both Smith and Costa have now changed that. Smith introduced the Chromapop Glass series in 2018 and is expanding it's lineup. Right now, the ONLY model they carry which has the ignitor color in a glass lens is the Guide's Choice model. You can get it in an ignitor lens at 40% VLT, in glass. Go somewhere and try on that model. If it fits, order it!!!! I am thinking that's my next pair of fishing glasses... I find it highly likely other models will add that color, as several models now have Chromapop glass (just missing the ignitor lens color).

For reference. VLT's.
<8% - welding helmets, lol.
8-12% - VERY dark, high sun lenses. Your MJ gray lenses are 12% I believe. The boating/beach world. Most of these will be gray base, if they have a mirror, most likely blue or silver.
12-20% - kind of all round lenses, still best during daytime, but you'll still wear them in partly cloudy type days or under the occasional tree. Good driving lenses. Most amber/copper/rose colors fit here, and if they are mirrored, it's often green or red.
20-30% - Work fine in the sun, but you'll still wear them on fully cloudy and even rainy days, and fine under a full canopy during daytime. But they'll come off an hour before dark, indoors, etc. Also good driving lenses. Costa's sunrise and MJ's HT colors fit in this range. Rarely mirrored. Usually light green, light pink, or light amber.
30-50% - true low light lenses, best for fishing. Really it's only Smith with it's ignitor in this space.
>50% - You're giving up polarization effectiveness, as by definition, 100% polarized means removing 50% of light. In the category of night lenses here.

Last edited:
Thanks for this write up.

Thanks Pcray, was hoping you would chime in! I was attracted to the techlite ignitor or the the chromapop glass ignitor both in the 33-40%. However, both lenses are out of stock for the discount options I have. The techlite polarchromic copper lens is available in the guide choice. Vlt is 13-20% seems to have great reviews as a do all set of shades.

The MJs I had were great on larger streams on bright days, the clarity under water surface was incredible. For much of the small stream fishing I do though they were too dark. Unfortunately my brother was watching my dog and "borrowed" them and ultimately lost them in the river. He is still in college so I feel bad making him replace a $250 pair when I can get something of similar quality for much less.

If you can get the Chromapop + (which is a Trivex lens that is as close to glass for clarity that you'll find in a poly lens) in the Polarchromic Ignitor tint def give it a look. I have those and a pair of the Techlite Glass in Polarchromic Copper and I never even use the Copper anymore given how good the Ignitor is in both bright sun and all but the darkest conditions. Here's a nice little article extolling the virtues of this lens tint:

The glass isn't about clarity or scratch resistance, though both are plusses (weight, shatter resistance, and cost are the drawbacks). It's about polarization. Plastic, whether Trivex, CR39, Poly, etc. All plastics. Change the polarization angle of light that passes through them. And in different manners when under stress.

So, all the glare, which is polarized light, gets altered before hitting the polarizing filter. And not in an entirely consistent manner. This makes the polarization effect less efficient, and less consistent across the lens. This is why microscopes and such which use polarization effects use only glass. And there's a pretty simple test you can do on sunglasses to see it, I actually used to use as a physics demo in my teaching days. It's also why the OP said his MJ glass lenses were incredible at underwater visibility. It's noticably better than plastic. MJ does make great lenses, but that seeing underwater bit is about glass vs. plastic, not brand wars.

Last edited:
Thanks Pcray, was hoping you would chime in! I was attracted to the techlite ignitor or the the chromapop glass ignitor both in the 33-40%. However, both lenses are out of stock for the discount options I have. The techlite polarchromic copper lens is available in the guide choice. Vlt is 13-20% seems to have great reviews as a do all set of shades.
It'd be a nice, all round set of sunglasses that you'll use a lot. That's not a huge range, don't expect dramatic change in light and dark conditions. But it is in the sweet spot for a kind of all-round lens, mix of clouds and sun type stuff, and will be just fine in full sun as well. I personally don't care for polarchromic, but in fixed VLT tints Smith seems to jump from 12% VLT all the way to 40% in their glass options, lol.

I have Costa's green mirror (12% I believe), MJ's HCL bronze (16%), and MJ's HT (high 20's, not sure on exact VLT).

The costa's almost never get worn except boating situations on a full sun day. Too dark. The bronze is my basically all rounder, and get 80% of the use. But deep woods brookies, fishing the evening hatch, or driving on drizzly/rainy days, the HCL's are too dark as well and I go to the HT's. That said, if I could only have 1 pair, it'd be the HT's. They aren't as good as the HCL in full sun, but they're perfectly acceptable and still a massive improvement over no glasses at all. And they're better in lower light situations. I think many of these sunglass companies see the primary fishing market as boaters, and throw us trout guys a bone with 1 low light option.

Note - polarchromic doesn't work in a car. It's works on UV exposure, and your car's windows block UV. So, in the car they'll always be at 20%. Just a note, not a drawback. Even at 20% and full sun they are still good and a massive improvement over no glasses.

Last edited:
Not to be the odd man out, but I actually prefer plastic lenses. Yes, they scratch easier. Yes, the polarization isn't great. Where I find they excel, though, is in weight. Any sunglasses I've had with glass lenses are just too heavy. This is doubly true for large wrap around style sunglasses like the guides choice. They wouldn't stay on my face which meant I spent more time fiddling with them and less time fishing. Plastic is also also cheaper. Your mileage may vary.

That's totally fair. In addition to weight and price, plastic also has superior shatter resistance. Much safer in a car wreck, chuck and ducking heavily weighted flies, or when playing sports. The weight can be countered, to a degree, by making sure you have a pair that fits right. But only to a degree.

There are trade-offs in life. To get one thing, you give up something else.

Guide's Choice Lens Options

Smith has been busy with new lens offerings since I was in the market. A sampling:

Chromapop glass low light yellow 33% VLT

Ignitor Chromapop+ (Trivex) polarchromic 12-20% VLT

Ignitor polarchromic techlite Glass 12 - 30% VLT

Above were not offered when I was in the market. That third one has nice specs for an all rounder.

Low Light Ignitor techlite glass 40% VLT is still offered. Lens is light golden olive color. The Ignitor lens is rose whether Trivex or glass.

I've used the amber/bronze mirror chromapop+ lenses from small mountain streams in PA to the flats of the FL Keys and they've performed well.

That said, I'm going to buy a second pair with green mirror glass.

Amber for sunny days and low light ignitor the rest of the time. They are fantastic

Does anyone here have a rec for which smith lens I should get for sight fishing in the RX range? I really want the igniter lens, but that is not an option for prescription. The closest option is chromapop polarized bronze metallic which has VLT of 14%.

I purchased chromapop polarized bronze metallic Rx glasses in September, I was extremely pleased with their service as my order took less than a week.
I have no issues with them this fall.

I'm looking for a new pair of sunglasses for low light conditions. The Smith website shows the Guide Choice model can be configured with the Techlite Polarchromic Ignitor lens (12-30% VLT) There does not seem to be an option for a non-polarchromic ignitor lens. There is also a yellow lens with 33% VLT. Is the Ignitor lens color specifically the reason folks (who recommended them above) like them?
Also, I want glass lenses partly for the performance aspect Pcray talked about but also for abrasion resistance. In some places Smith seems to say that Techlite is a glass lens. Is that correct? (@Pcray?)

I just looked at the Techlite lens myself and it says glass and also mentions "mineral glass". I'm gonna say it's glass unless corrected.

Back