Smith Chromapop Glass!

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Looks like Smith has now come out with Chromapop glass lenses to compete with Costa 580G! There are a few select colors in the Guide's Choice among other models. Hopefully, they are really nice lenses.

I really like my Smith glass lenses sunglasses (non-Chromapop) and a few years back, was on the lookout for a Chromapop lens set, until I realized that all the Chromapops were plastic and I would have been looking for quite some time. I did end up buying a pair of Chromapop sunglasses, but they overall just feel like a piece of junk; flimsier all around. Should be able to afford the closeout prices in a few years :)

I have been using the smith guide's choice for the last 3 months. I really like them. Very light weight and great clarity. Way lighter than my Maui Jims. Plus they come with a built in lanyard which doesn't slide over the end of the ear piece like most and therefore cannot be felt. I do not own an pairs of Costas yet so I cannot compare the two.

I get an email newsletter from Hatch magazine which just had a review of sunglasses for fishing. I think you can find it at www.hatchmag.com.

I have always used Cacoon fitovers, but have been considering glass prescription lenses for the added clarity. I am very nearsighted and also have prisms in my prescription which will probably make the glass lenses very heavy. Does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of glass over plastic for clarity, and will there be a noticeable improvement going from fitovers to prescription lens?

I have always fished with Costa Delmar 580g. Best glasses I've ever owned. I moved to central Pa and started fly fishing and the Costas I found to dark for wooded fishing. I got the Smith's ignitors low light lenses over the Costa option as the Smith's were glass and Costa did not have a low light option in glass. the Smith's are perfect for almost all fishing situations here except full sun days fishing in the open. they both make really good glasses.

I have both Costa 580's and Smith's with chromapop lenses. I prefer the Smiths in bright conditions and the Costas in lower light.

Im a sunglass snob. Lol. I think they are among the most important pcs of equipment you can own.

I have smith, 2 pair of mj's, and 580g costas. Truth? Glass kicks plastics butt all over the place. Nobody's plastic compares to anybody's glass. Not just in clarity, but the effective polarization is far better in glass because of a lack of birefringence.

A test? Ok. Wear any pair of polarized glasses. At arms length put a different pair, the test pair, between you and a computer screen. Turn them. If the pair in your hand are plastic, light through will be blotchy., dark areas and light. If the pair in your hand are glass, it'll go uniformly black at the right angle. Stressed plastic changes polarization angles before and after the filter. High quality injection molding and frames that dont stress the lens help. The fancier plastics are clearer than straight poly but that doesnt help with the polarization issue. But glass is pretty much perfect. Just heavy.

When put side by side (glass vs glass or plastic vs plastic), I'll personally give a slight nod to MJ. But thats minor and personal preference. Glass vs. plastic is a much larger difference, and all 3 of those companies make both glass and plastic.

As for darkness, all companies offer different colors for different environments. So saying company X is too dark doesnt hold water.

Smiths low light ignitors are the lightest shade out there. But costa has its sunrise and MJ its HT which are also low light lenses.

pcray1231

Thanks for the info. That was what I was waiting to hear. I think I'll bite the bullet and get prescription glass lenses.

Thank you

Ken

Back