smelt pattern

ihrtffishing

ihrtffishing

going to maine in a week and was told to bring smelt patterns to fish the lakes and ponds on mt. desert island for brook trout and salmon. All i know about this pattern is that its a streamer so advice is welcome

A smelt is a fish, not an individual fly pattern. I'd go with a blue over white clouser for starters, but there seem to be some more specific imitations out there.

Link to images

There are a few fly patterns in there.

do a search in the fly tying section, I posted some that i tied. grey ghost is the most famous one. try black ghost, joes smelt, rainbow smelt, gov. Angus King, pink lady, barnes special.

Attachments

• smelt 001.jpg
    smelt 001.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 6
  • smelt 002.jpg
    smelt 002.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 4
  • smelt 003.jpg
    smelt 003.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 4
  • smelt 004.jpg
    smelt 004.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 6
ihrt,
What JayL said.
Have some streamers (whatever style you like) about 2-3 inches long, slender with green/brown over white.

simple buck tail smelt patterns work well up there.

Attachments

• 2-25-2011 075.jpg
    2-25-2011 075.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2-25-2011 091.jpg
    2-25-2011 091.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 7
  • 2-25-2011 088.jpg
    2-25-2011 088.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2-25-2011 048.jpg
    2-25-2011 048.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 5
sandfly,
are the first 3 patterns supposed to be that sparse or does it not look life like when its full?

Tie them sparce. Tie on long hooks 4x-10x long. 3"-6" is the normal size of smelt up there. This time of year they are larger in size. here is a size 2 12x long gray ghost i use there. make your streamers slim and sparce too.

Attachments

• 2-25-2011 115.jpg
    2-25-2011 115.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 5
Sandfly would know better then I would being that I've fished up there, but I doubt that fish in a backwoods lake or pond that are hardly fish would be very selective.

Sandfly,
Has point on. if you tie streamers Featherwing{rangeley style} Marabou wings,or bucktails sparse is the way to tie em or to buy em.Hey IHRT, on your way into Maine if you come in off 95 or rt #1 theres a lil town called Kittery,look for the Kittery Trading Post go down stairs the fishing Fly,and conventional tackle is all down there,if you go further north stop at Freeport at LL Bean look for the hunting/fishing buildingthey will have some flies too.
If i were you and you weren't gonna tie,Call Sandfly and have some tied up for you he ties a great fly and has done the pond thing, I can only speak of streamers fished in the rivers and creeks up there TroutSpey or Singlehanders.I do know if you fish rivers better off getting a sinking leader loop it to end of your fly line and 2 1/2' of flouro tippet and yer set.
Presentations that work on rivers will be standard swing down and across with a hangdown at the end, also cast upstream and stripped back will get your arm ripped out of its sockets when they take this is Galloup style.I also like a whisker up and across like yer nymphing and and then dead drifted when it gets close to end of drift before the swing i strip the fly alot of takes on that retrieve.
In ponds and lakes things will be fished a bit different using a different line system and possibly a countdown for finding depth.I dont know the current rules on split shot up there either thats why i use a few different sink rated sinking leaders.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Sandfly, are the wings mallard or teal or what?TIA

coinman,
I use teal on mine but mallard will do too.

Back