SMB in the Philly Area

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Within the surrounding counties of Philly (living in Bucks), what are the top SMB streams I should be interested in hitting up?

Stagger, my top 2 choices would be the Lehigh and the Delaware. The Lehigh has been fishing better lately. C'mon out for a float, I'll probably be out on Saturday.

beeber .. thanks for the invite! My weekend fishing will only allow me the 28th for the newbie jam.

1) Where is the Lehigh as I am onlu familiar with the Lil Lehigh

2) Where are the good spots on the Delaware? From New Hope to the Trenton Bridge is easy for me to get to

3) Float?? Is that on a boat?

Stagger, just to answer your question, the Lehigh River starts way up near Gouldsboro (I think), and empties into the Delaware in Easton. In between it's cooled (somewhat) by a bottom-release from the Francis E. Walter Res. near White Haven, then flows through the Lehigh Gorge, Jim Thorpe, Palmerton, Northampton, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc... Though I've lived within minutes of it my entire life, I wouldn't know where to tell you to get into some SMB action...

Which brings me to my next question: beeber - can you give me advice on what section(s) are most favorable for SMBs? I live in Fountian Hill, and fished right in Bethlehem yesterday evening with little success. I had often fished this section when I was young (like 13 or 14), but it had been almost 20 years since I tried there before last night. Back then it was impossible not to catch a dozen fish; I would often hook up every other cast. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore... Anyway, how's the water, say, between Walnutport and Treichlers? Or Lehighton and Walnutport? Any tidbit of info would be greatly appreciated!

Stagger, I fish the Delaware from Stroudsburg down to Point Pleasant, there are plenty of access points. The boat access points on both the PA and NJ sides are good places to start.

Hey fish the Lehigh around the Lehigh Valley. I been out a few times in the past years for what its worth...

I fished in Allentown above the Hamilton bridge. This is slower water and seems to hold good numbers of fish.

I floated from Atown (crap plant on Hamilton) to Sand Island a couple times. The water around the first bend where the Jordan dumps in always seemed interesting but I didn't do very well in my brief attempts. The water from there down to Btown seemed pretty dead...I pounded it hard and only got a couple fish. Didn't really want to do that stretch again...although there are some riffles as you get closer to Bethlehem/Fountain Hill that hold fish, I think they're acessible by land so you don't have to make the whole float trek. The islands above 378 alway looked interesting but I haven't fished them much. The riffle below 378 has been getting better in the past years. I fished it last night right before dark but it was slow...only 1 small smallie. I never did too well from Sand Island through the steel plant...I'm sure there's fish there and I've caught a couple nice ones but very low percentage-wise. As you get to where the sh!t plant dumps in closer to freemansburg it seems to really be picking up in the past couple years...haven't fished much below Freemansburg where it gets wide and slow...

For some fun, try the Neshaminy between York Road and Mill Creek bridges. Just wade down the middle and throw terrestrials around bank structure. I've been getting a lot of big *** sunnies and smallies in the 8-10" range. Not many big fish but plenty of action and its close.

Understanding there are differences btwn SMB v Trout ..

Are they more active in the AM and evening PM hrs when it comes to feeding or is it like a most of my tribe, myself included, at a Bar Mitzvah and the feeding frenzy when it comes to the free smorgasbord.

Doc, why do I have no clue exactly where the "Neshaminy between York Road and Mill Creek bridges" are?

Where do you park?

Per parking; Is that in between the bridges or do you go up or down stream?

Andrew, as you drive down York road, cross over the Neshaminy, and the first road on your right is Valley Road, then immediately after on your left is some type of Day Care facility. Make that left into the day care facility and you will find the road continues to where it ends at the old bridge. There is a small lot on your left.

Park it, then walk over to the downstream side of the bridge and you will see a path. That path will take you streamside and along the stream about halfway down to the Mill Creek Bridge. The rest of the way the path gets pretty overgrown(I almost got lost in there) so its best just wading. Anywhere along the path is fine to try.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.276719,-75.096359+(Neshaminy%20Creek%20-%20Section%202)

(might be best just to cut and paste this link)

The Delaware from the Gap to Trenton is good smb water, as is the Lehigh from Walnutport to the Delaware, except with a few dead spots.

Chaz, can u wade there as I see mostly boats when I cross the bridge?

Doc, thanks. One day our times will mesh and Ill hit that spot with u and volks

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Chaz, can u wade there as I see mostly boats when I cross the bridge?

Doc, thanks. One day our times will mesh and Ill hit that spot with u and volks

You can, but at your own risk. Last time I passed the area it looked semi-wadeable but then viewing the road is one thing, on the bank is another.

Kabutt wrote:
Stagger, just to answer your question, the Lehigh River starts way up near Gouldsboro (I think), and empties into the Delaware in Easton. In between it's cooled (somewhat) by a bottom-release from the Francis E. Walter Res. near White Haven, then flows through the Lehigh Gorge, Jim Thorpe, Palmerton, Northampton, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc... Though I've lived within minutes of it my entire life, I wouldn't know where to tell you to get into some SMB action...

Which brings me to my next question: beeber - can you give me advice on what section(s) are most favorable for SMBs? I live in Fountian Hill, and fished right in Bethlehem yesterday evening with little success. I had often fished this section when I was young (like 13 or 14), but it had been almost 20 years since I tried there before last night. Back then it was impossible not to catch a dozen fish; I would often hook up every other cast. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore... Anyway, how's the water, say, between Walnutport and Treichlers? Or Lehighton and Walnutport? Any tidbit of info would be greatly appreciated!

Might be able to get into good smallie fishing on the Lehigh below Slatington and down from there, although I've heard of people catching smallies a little further up above Slatington.

Much of the river is wadeable, but you have to choose you places carefully.
The Perkiomen below Green Lane Reservoir is pretty good this time of the year as is the East Branch of the Perky from Perkasie to the mouth..

Back