Smallmouths on the Brandywine?

• Thread starter BrookTroutLover
  • Start date
BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

This trout guy is looking to try some Smallmouth bass fly fishing. Is happening on the Brandywine yet?

I dunno - it wouldn't hurt to do some exploring.

April is prime time to get into big SMBs. Look for slow, deep eddies and fish 'em with streamer flies low and slow. If you don't have any luck, don't write the stream off. Smaller "trout sized" creeks often hold bass only on a seasonal basis and, when this is the case, in my experience the fish show up after the spawn, usually in late May or more reliably by mid June. So check the stream again in the summer. Mid to larger sized rivers will have bass. In particular, however, river bass fishing in spring and fall definitely requires some scouting as fish are usually not evenly distributed.

BrookTroutLover wrote:
This trout guy is looking to try some Smallmouth bass fly fishing. Is happening on the Brandywine yet?

The B-wine has resident SMBs. The population is not really that great overall, and the water is really cold right now and very low for this time of year.

Below Downingtown (EB) and below Coatsville (WB) the B-wine is not stocked with trout. You should have miles of water without seeing another angler.

Many, if not most of the stream is shallow water, especially in the upper stretches. As FI posted, if you give it a go, find the slower and deeper stretches. The bass should still be in these wintering areas. And fish slow and deep. Good luck.

We fished the Schuylkill near Phoenixville and were catching SM last year. We didn't catch anything big but still had a good day. Most people say further upstream is better but I've never fished further upstream myself.

They are so fun to catch and fight like trains.

I fished the East Branch below West Chester this past Saturday for smallies. Usually get a half dozen in a typical afternoon. Nothing. Didn't see any or any baitfish. Water was low for this time of year and too cold I think.

Back