smallmouth suggestions on foot?

FarmerKevin

FarmerKevin

I live in California and visiting my family just outside Lancaster city in early June. Wondering if anyone is willing to share location advice and tips on targeting smallmouth by foot close to the Lancaster area? Within an hour or two drive? My fishable dates are June 5th through the 10th. I have a rental car and my own gear. Is there any wader friendly locations and techniques I should try to have a good experience? Thanks PAFF community.
-Kevin Bateman

Kevin,

Lots of smallie guys in the Lancaster county area I’m sure will comment or pm you locations. Be advised though it will be very tough to do any wading right now in the main river,(the Susquehanna) and it’s larger tribs, due to rain and consequential high water events. Post spawn is not the best either.

For areas close to the city try Pearlman Park on the conestoga and the Lancaster county park area of the conestoga.

Within an hour or two drive, you have a lot of options....

I agree with Hopback's comments above about high water and post-spawn. Last year saw record amounts of rain in PA and many of our large, destination rivers were high or downright unfishable last year. Unfortunately, this year seems to be repeating some of these weather patterns. Right now, the river is around the 5' range in Harrisburg which is still too high to wade. Perhaps by the time you get here, it will be down to the mid 4 foot range, which is just getting fishable for a wading angler (barely - be aware that the Susky is a difficult river to wade - be careful!).
Early to mid June is post-spawn, a time when river bass fishing is often tough as well.

Anyway, with all this negativity out of the way, you have many stream and river options in your driving range (2 hours will get you all over central and eastern PA). The Juniata is excellent and some smaller rivers such as Swatara, Conestoga, Conodoguinet etc., might be in better shape for wading. Backing these up are even smaller streams that have good warm water fishing. Of course, folks are often tight-lipped about access sites and specific locations, especially on the smaller streams. A polite private message (PM) can often get more detailed info. The big rivers like Susky and Juniata have plenty of public access and these are easily found with an internet search.
Good luck with your trip!

In all honesty the big rivers (Susquehanna and Juniata) are probably too high and shot. Even with a week or 10 days of no rain before you get here (which seems unlikely - lots of Tstorm days in the extended forecast) they’ll probably still be too high to safely wade, especially if it’s your first time on them.

Your best bet will be to shoot for the larger creeks/small rivers that feed those rivers...Some of the ones already mentioned...Conodoguinet, Swatara, Conestoga are all good, where their habitat is good is anyway. If it looks fishy, there’s fish there. A bit further of a drive, but still within 2 hours are Shermans and lower Penns (Selinsgrove area). These sized streams are all at borderline wade fishing levels now, a little too high, but getting close. It all depends on what happens over the next week...IF we get a relatively dry week these could be dialed in. Another week of constant Tstorms and these will be shot too.

You can go one size smaller and look for tribs to those creeks if need be too. Smaller creek, smaller fish, and more panfish generally, but can still have some decent fishing. Mill Creek and Cocalico Creek (Conestoga tribs), Middle Creek (Penns trib), and lower Manada Creek (Swatara trib) are options in this size class. It becomes more of an issue on these smaller streams, but if you see “Posted - No Trespassing” signs, don’t fish there, look for another spot. Most have generally good access though.

If any of the above options are fishable, a Bugger or a Clouser will be all you need, maybe some poppers if there’s a surface bite. Adjust your size based on the size of the creek.

If everything’s blown out bring your smallest rod and some bushy general attractor dry flies and hit the small Trout streams in the hills on Lebanon/Lancaster county border. When the Bass streams are too high, that kind of fishing is very good.

Man do I miss Bass fishing...Stop raining already!

Thank you very much..I'm not expecting exact coordinates or anything, and I appreciate anything. I'd like to fish the Susquehanna, with high flows is staying on or near the bank an option? Or better to hold out for a boat or vessel of some kind? Will look into the smaller tribs for wading. Definitely been trying to do some homework and mapping. My family currently lives very close to Mill Creek, where I've forsure seen some smaller unknown fish (likely bass) and good looking water, haven't tried or explored it much though. But its a walk from the house. Fun with a light glass rod

It all depends on the water levels for the Susky wading. Check the Harrisburg gauge - if its below 5 feet, then you should have some wading opportunities. The easiest, and actually one of the more interesting parts on the river to "wade," would be the Falmouth boat access right below Conewago Falls. It's the "pothole" section with these really incredible diabase rock that have deep, swirling potholes. They are WICKED slippery, but you can rock jump pretty far out and find good water to fish. Shoot me a message and I can give you more information closer to the date as I live just downstream from there.

Mill Creek is loaded with smallmouth, rockbass, and bluegill. That's where I would spend some time if the flows on the susky don't work out.

FarmerKevin wrote:
I'd like to fish the Susquehanna, with high flows is staying on or near the bank an option? Or better to hold out for a boat or vessel of some kind?

Shore fishing is an option, but a difficult one as most of our state's river banks are forested and often with steep inclines making access and back-casting difficult. However, it can be done. I do much of my pre-spawn bass fishing from shore. There just aren't a lot of places where this is feasible on the Susky.

Although you didn't ask about this...if levels are fishable but on the high side, you might consider a guided float trip on the Susky or the other aforementioned waters. A good guide outfit to look into would be Wild East Outfitters (wildeastoutfitters.com). Their guides contribute good content to this forum and they offer both boat and wading trips for reasonable prices.

If you haven't left yet, bring your small stream Trout gear...

Thank you all, I really appreciate the info. Raftman I will Send you a message when I get out there around June 4th to check in. Dave_W I would love to do a guided float trip but it’s not quite in the budget now, maybe I would splurge if it didn’t sound like post spawn bummer. I’m definitely packing the small stream trout gear.. I have admiration and much respect for Brook trout of Pennsylvania and will spend some time chasing them as well. I can find browns and rainbows in California, so the native Brookies are a true jewel when I visit.

Sounds good man! I'll be on summer vacation, so I'll be around :)

Bumping an old thread, but looking for info on fishing these creeks with rock bass and smallmouth. Are you knocking on doors and asking permission or fishing public access areas like parks or canoe/kayak launches? Also looking to avoid crowds for obvious reasons right now.

If the river is blown out i have a crap ton of info for you.
Lots of " mid" size rivers in lancaster with smallmouth.
The locations on these rivers are very important to success. Not all stretches are created equal.

Ill PM you my number. Feel free to call anytime if you require more info.

Though i got a feeling Raftman can take good care of you .

*edit: nvm. I see this is an old tread now.

JT. You can find many areas open to public fishing in lancaster on WW creeks.

JT0802 wrote:
Bumping an old thread, but looking for info on fishing these creeks with rock bass and smallmouth. Are you knocking on doors and asking permission or fishing public access areas like parks or canoe/kayak launches? Also looking to avoid crowds for obvious reasons right now.

Yes to both questions.

Smaller warm water streams often receive little fishing pressure and landowners are often not as accustomed to seeing anglers on their property as would be the case if they had cold water on their land. If the land is posted, ask permission or look elsewhere. Many landowners will allow access if one asks nicely.

Also, the smaller the stream, the less likely there will be boat ramps and they will be spread further apart (generally). Most of the WW creeks I fish don't have ramps because they're just too small for anything trailered. These creeks often fish very well for rock bass and smallies.

Finally, I'd suggest that, if a creek is too small for boat ramps, it is likely not worth fishing until summertime as sunfish and bass largely migrate out of these streams during the colder months.

I'm glad I read all the way through, and finally realized it was a thread from last year.

It wasn't making sense that he was saying he'd be here in June, yet guys were saying "It's too high to wade right now", and "If we don't get any rain in the next few days", etc.

I kept thinking, what does that have to do with two months from now??

Only when I looked closer at the dates, and saw that the original thread was posted within days of his planned arrival, did it all make sense!

ColdBore wrote:
I'm glad I read all the way through, and finally realized it was a thread from last year.

It wasn't making sense that he was saying he'd be here in June, yet guys were saying "It's too high to wade right now", and "If we don't get any rain in the next few days", etc.

I kept thinking, what does that have to do with two months from now??

Only when I looked closer at the dates, and saw that the original thread was posted within days of his planned arrival, did it all make sense!

Yes, this is why we generally discourage refreshing old threads.

Refreshing an old thread can make sense sometimes but, the older the thread, the better it is to leave it alone and start a new conversation.

Sometimes threads from many years ago get refreshed and this can cause confusion as some of the posters are no longer active on the forum.

Back