Smallmouth assessment for Mid-Atlantic Rivers

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
A must read for those interested in River smallmouth for this area >

https://www.potomacriverkeepernetwork.org/executive-review-2019-mid-atlantic-smallmouth-bass-health-assessment/?utm_content=McCotter&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Read&utm_campaign=October+ENews&fbclid=IwAR1NmXmW-waHlH4KR9jG9hLey8C7OnbnyjAQwSWkRRNwyQQhZXKR6f_jdeU

susky

https://www.potomacriverkeepernetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Smith_MidAtlanticBassMtg_08082019.pdf

That’s why I asked about the diseased SMB photo date and location posted in another thread. Note the percentage of diseased adults that we handled in the population survey at the only (due to flows) site sampled in the lower river last fall, the Accomac site. Later, December as I recall, we collected diseased adults across from Bainbridge for closer lab examination.

Additionally, if you really wish to get an education, scroll down through the regional SMB reports to what Dr Blazer had to say in the last report about endocrine disruptors, pharmaceuticals, pathogens, etc in the rivers.

Mike wrote:
That’s why I asked about the diseased SMB photo date and location posted in another thread. Note the percentage of diseased adults that we handled in the population survey at the only (due to flows) site sampled in the lower river last fall, the Accomac site. Later, December as I recall, we collected diseased adults across from Bainbridge for closer lab examination.

Interesting, Mike.

Can you describe what about the fish's appearance lead you to classify them as "diseased adults" EG sores? spots? fungus? underweight?, etc.

PFBC crews examine SMB adults for open sores; necrotic, eroded tissue; raised, reddish scales; sore looking jaws (but not in spring); fin erosion or fins healing from erosion; split, sore looking fin ray flesh; whitish bacterial patches on body or patches of Saprolegnia fungus (cotton-like); reddish or pinkish blisters; wart-like structures; as well as external parasite infestations, including cysts. Lethargy would be another clue, but I only ever saw that with respect to the one fish I describe below.

Oddly, these fish tend to have the plumpness of a very healthy fish. That was especially true during the previous break-out. Only last year did I see one that was soon going to be DOA. It is possible that it was a precursor of things to come, but that is unknown at this point.

Mike wrote:
PFBC crews examine SMB adults for open sores; necrotic, eroded tissue; raised, reddish scales; sore looking jaws (but not in spring); fin erosion or fins healing from erosion; split, sore looking fin ray flesh; whitish bacterial patches on body or patches of Saprolegnia fungus (cotton-like); reddish or pinkish blisters; wart-like structures; as well as external parasite infestations, including cysts. Lethargy would be another clue, but I only ever saw that with respect to the one fish I describe below.

Oddly, these fish tend to have the plumpness of a very healthy fish. That was especially true during the previous break-out. Only last year did I see one that was soon going to be DOA. It is possible that it was a precursor of things to come, but that is unknown at this point.

Thanks for the details.

I fish in the areas mentioned and have not noticed any diseased fish this summer or fall. It may very well be that they succumbed to disease or the incidence of disease has decreased.

I will say there have been far less fish caught this season than in 2015 - 2017 by anglers overall. I don't mention 2018 since the flow was too high to fish most of the season.

I believe Susky SMB anglers await the results of surveys this fall to gauge where the populations stands at this time.

afishinado wrote:
Mike wrote:

I fish in the areas mentioned and have not noticed any diseased fish this summer or fall.

Don't you have to catch the smallies first to notice the disease Tom? Lol. I haven't caught (or fished for) smallies in quite a while.

jifigz wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Mike wrote:

I fish in the areas mentioned and have not noticed any diseased fish this summer or fall.

Don't you have to catch the smallies first to notice the disease Tom? Lol. I haven't caught (or fished for) smallies in quite a while.

Get that rod out Josh!!.....for science :-?

While smallie fishing has been down, there is still fish being caught; just not in the numbers of the past few years.

"Dr. Vicki Blazer, USGS Fisheries Lab, explained that one of the most complicated issues facing water quality and fish health are the myriad chemicals in the water including endocrine disruptors. These chemicals, linked to intersex abnormalities in adult fish, enter the river, since wastewater treatment plants currently do not filter them out. Dr. Blazer noted that fish respond differently to stressors and multiple chemicals can have similar effects. However, the complex mixture of chemicals in addition to environmental stressors such as nutrients, water temperature, turbidity, etc. can adversely affect fish health.

Blazer said that she has been studying smallmouth bass since 2003 and noted that there is no one cause for the fish kills seen to date but rather a perfect storm of multiple bacteria and other agents at work that collectively weaken their immunosuppression system, making them succumb. She pointed out that with young of the year smallmouth bass mortality in the Susquehanna watershed, many coinfections have been identified.

Her groundbreaking research identified that smallmouth bass’s exposure to estrogenic chemicals results in the creation of intersex fish.

Some of her Lessons Learned have included:

All fish are not created equal. They respond differently.
Aquatic organisms are exposed to complex mixtures of chemicals in addition to other environmental stressors (nutrients, temperature, etc.)
Multiple chemicals can have similar effects
Many effects such as intersex may occur early in life and not be seen until maturity.
She is now focusing much of her research on the long-term impact of these endocrine disruptors on fish health. She identified that the herbicides encountered most often include atrazine, simazine, metolochlor, fipronil, and metalyxyl. Blazer also pointed out that you have to study fish tissue since what is in the water may not provide the whole picture. Also, need to study the yolk of the egg for more data.

Her research also found that genes are being suppressed – and believes a new virus is causing the dark splotches on the fish, creating melanistic adult bass – termed “blotchy bass” syndrome. It is just odd dark tissue on the body, fins, mouth and does not appear to be precursors to the creation of lesions.

Her molecular studies work, along with the efforts of her USGS researchers, Heather Walsh, Adam Sperry, and Luke Iwanowicz, indicate they may not be looking at the right things. She noted that Metformin is one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for diabetes and was the only pharmaceutical found at all of their research sites. What role, if any, does Metformin play in impacting the smallmouth bass population.

Blazer lamented that the Chesapeake Bay Endocrine Disruption project is ending while there are still many questions that need to be answered and others that haven’t not even been asked as of yet. She believes that much more work needs to be done on how land and climate change affect fish issues and the importance of analyzing trends over time. She also believes it is critically important to assess agricultural best management practices in relation to our chemical and biological data and then to utilize this data to choose “focal sites” for more in-depth study. She closed by saying we need a better understanding of the food and parasite/pathogen web."

Jesus. The time necessary to determine the impact of all the possible variables is clearly going to be longer than the time it will take for this population to be critically impaired. If we wait to see exactly which chemicals we need to control better before enacting protections, we are going to lose our rivers. We need to take clean water seriously now, and we need to pass the sort of regulations that will protect our streams and the environments they flow through. Currently in PA, there is a bill to reclassify water pollution so that it is nearly impossible to say that someone has polluted. It will reduce compliance with regulations, and what's worse, it will delay or completely prevent mitigation or reclamation after the event, because it technically won't be a pollution event. It is (obviously) a lobbyist-written bill. Contact your local representative. I did this morning.

Over the last 2 years, many federal water protection regulations have been repealed or weakened, allowing such contaminants as coal waste and agricultural waste to be legally dumped into watersheds. The pebble mine in Alaska has been approved. Our rivers are quite literally under attack from nearly every direction, and often by those who don't realize the damage they do: developers, energy interests, municipalities, industrial concerns, farmers, our own cars and runoff from our yards (think Roundup) and streets, and of course, still the classics of AMD and PCB contamination from our historical stupidity.

We need to start taking this stuff seriously and voting on this issue if we want to be able to enjoy the sport we love years from now, regardless of which party controls the federal government. We need to get the contaminants out of our water, whether that means tighter regulations on industry, better filtration systems for waste water, or other efforts that may result in expense and inconvenience. If and when these rivers finally give up their ghosts (like the Susky appeared to have done for most of a decade), most of us won't live long enough to enjoy their rebound, if they have one. For the life of me, I will never understand the lack of political will to simply protect our air and water for the overall health of the environment.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
For the life of me, I will never understand the lack of political will to simply protect our air and water for the overall health of the environment.

The reasons are:
1. Ignorance
2. Shortsightedness
3. Greed

If the electorate does not know about or understand the problems, their causes, and their impacts, they cannot vote to remediate them. There is so much self-serving disinformation out there that is amplified by cognitive and confirmation biases, it a wonder we can make any informed decisions.

If we only think about what is good for the "now", we sacrifice the future.

Should we trust in lobbyists, politicians, and others with conflicts of interest to do what is best for the long term health of our ecosystems.

The longer we wait, the more expensive and protracted the cures will be. I am not, by nature, a pessimist. But even my intrinsic optimism is stretched to its limits as I have watched for decades as the political football of environmentalism get punted around.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

Agree with all flyswatter says- I am convinced that something bad happened.

Was out for 4 hrs today hitting some of the areas below Falmouth. Not a fish seen or caught. That has been the case more often than not.

Now that we have a very nice river boat and a fleet of canoes, kayaks and pontoons for use on tributaries I guess we will be traveling elsewhere to use them.

Spent some time today on my favorite lower Juniata River bridges checking out the river (This is one of my favorite river assessment methods - unscientific, but much fun and interesting).
Fished briefly in a couple spots, caught nothing.

Water was extremely clear and 47 degrees F. Leaves were heavy but mainly on the bottom with few in the water column. River is wadeable and fishable.

I saw SMBs at every bridge I checked. Bass were concentrated in groups in main river channel in deeper sections (one car tire had four biggies hanging around it). Fish were not visible near shore except one spot where there were two mid sized fish on a submerged log right along the shoreline in about a foot of water. One channel held, I estimated, about a dozen fish with most in the mid to upper teens and one that was huge (it is hard to estimate fish size from so far above the water in my experience). No fish seen on flats or featureless sections - these were completely barren. Saw one carp and no other species today.

Summary: there are a lot of bass in the lower J but they are not spread out and cruising like in summer/early fall. Find a deeper section in mid channel and if you hook a fish, others are probably nearby.

Here is a comprehensive article about fall/winter SMB fishing. An excellent read that confirms what DaveW wrote above >

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/winter-smallmouth-fishing-tips.html

Back