Smallies

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

The Son and i have been targeting smallies in the local streams and rivers and have had a great return for our time invested. Starting on Sunday they have been either refusing or spooking anything we throw at them, i'm perplexed i guess that's why they call it fishing instead of catching.

I don't know your general proximity to the Susquehanna, but if you like an abundance of small fish as well as large, you might want to try it right now.

Your not doing anything wrong. This is what happens when a front moves in. Water temps on the Delaware dropped 10 degrees since Sunday. Shut the bite down fast. I went out Thursday and we only picked up 7 while spin fishing. Friday I went out and got one dink on an all white clouser. Today went out in the rain for 4 hours and we managed 8 with the biggest going 15". It's a tough bite right now but should pick up as they adjust to lower water temps and put the fall feed bag on. This is the time of year to get the big ones, hang in there.

Almost forgot, we fished on top with Zara puppies (spin) and poppers. Poppers 3 puppies 4.

brookieaddict wrote:
Starting on Sunday they have been either refusing or spooking anything we throw at them, i'm perplexed

If you're fishing small creeks, be aware that bass populations in creeks are largely seasonal. Usually, by about mid October, most bass migrate out of small creeks entirely. While I think it's a bit early for this, the sudden drop in temperature may have started the migration. I usually give up on small WW creeks about this time of year. Those pools that were full of bass and panfish in August, will often be nearly or entirely devoid of fish not long after first frost.

If you're still hot to chase bass, it's the time of year to focus more on larger waters or the big rivers like the Susky. Bassin on these waters is usually excellent in October.

Agree with all above.

The bass shut down during a cold front and should be back on the feed when the temps stabilize and the fish become acclimated to the cooler temps.

SMB migrate from the creeks to the main rivers with colder temps.

The Susky SMB fishing has been great this season. Now (after the fish acclimate to the cooler temps) is a great time to try your luck. You have a shot a bigger fish as well as lotsa fish. Also, the River is low and in great shape for wading. It should be worth the trip.

Thanks for the replys we figured the front and cooler temps were the culprit. We usualy switch to big browns in the Erie tribs but water levels have been skinny lately, so we'll wait for some rain.

I think a few of you made a good point that the change in water temp caused the bite to slow down. This is what happened on my stream. Last night the action was back on as I caught 3 and lost one due to line failure. I only went fishing for about an hour but saw more action than I did during the week following the drop in water temp.

Cheers,

Back