Smallies are munchin

• Thread starter laurelhighlander
  • Start date
I floated and fished a Susquehanna River trib early last week and the fishing was phenomenal. It was definitely at the tail end of pre-spawn though. I'd imagine most watersheds are in spawning mode right now.

I have been fishing sw pa a lot the past couple weeks…two weeks ago I was having tremendous success on the big fish…fished Friday and today and they are definitely getting into the beds…I saw multiple fish on beds and fighting over bedding areas…past couple trips only having success with smaller fish and the sauger / walleye bite has been good

Did an early float today as I don't normally hit Susky until the 3rd week of June. High winds so we stuck to spin gear. Not great, not awful. All fish were 14-17". Got broke off by a musky mid day. Around 6 / 6:30, wind started to lay down and there were sulphurs, ISOs and stenos on the water. Some fish were up sipping. For this time of year, the water is clearer than normal and the flow was near perfect. Found fish on ledges, behind islands and near weed beds. I think it might be a little ahead of schedule for the year. Looking forward to some smallie action over the next few months 👍

Did an early float today as I don't normally hit Susky until the 3rd week of June. High winds so we stuck to spin gear. Not great, not awful. All fish were 14-17". Got broke off by a musky mid day. Around 6 / 6:30, wind started to lay down and there were sulphurs, ISOs and stenos on the water. Some fish were up sipping. For this time of year, the water is clearer than normal and the flow was near perfect. Found fish on ledges, behind islands and near weed beds. I think it might be a little ahead of schedule for the year. Looking forward to some smallie action over the next few months 👍
Good to hear. It's still a a week or so out from when I tend to focus on the SMB bite on the rivers, but this is motivating. From your description, it sounds like many bass are moving to summer areas, which makes sense.

I do want to add...
The flow might have been a tad higher than what I normally find in late June which may have accounted slightly for what I experienced. I chalk it up to 70-72 degree water temp. The fish were incredibly strong and I felt under gunned with a 6'6" medium rod and 8 pound test. Several times I thought we were getting broken off. Wish it wasn't blowing at 30+ because I wanted some of that action on the fly rod

I dealt with some awful winds this past weekend. It was a shame because the stretch I fished on the North Branch Susquehanna had an awesome sulphur hatch going on, wind was much lighter early evening. Could not reach the fish or get a decent drift. Then the cold front came. We need some steady weather. I did score a few decent ones on dry flies despite the conditions.

Saw my first hex last evening 👍

The lights were turned off on the Wrightsville Bridge a few days ago. Seems a little early to me. But they'll be here soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 7.13.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 7.13.32 AM.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 48
Back