Smallest Fly / Biggest Fish

JeremyW

JeremyW

What was the biggest fish, you've caught on the smallest fly? Mine so far was about a size 20 BWO, and about a 15" rainbow.

Attachments

• DSCF3821.JPG
    DSCF3821.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 93
PXL 20230526 192536220

Got this big dumb stockie last week on a size 20 of this varietal:

PXL 20221103 010247706

Biggest recently, I guess. Thanks for the opportunity to post gratuitous pics.

(And sorry it looks like I've got a death grip on the fish; it's actually flopping and blasting off out of my hand)

only one comes to mind. caught a 20" bow on a zebra midge. cant remember the size but i know it was very small. caught the bow in a trout conservation area in winter.

20 inch Cutthroat on the Livingston River, Alberta Canada on size 20 zebra midge

Old days in the ditch at BS. 20" fish on #18 - #22 midge larva was pretty regular.

Struggle to tie on #18 now.

This rainbow on Silver Creek in ID on a 24 dry I tied with the vice clamped to the steering wheel. Gray body, grizzly hackle. All day to isolate.

15" Size 16 nymph
3kLVvzmh.jpg

26" rainbow on a size 18 egg fly with 5x tippet, exciting fight.

A couple of 20 inch browns on size 20 midge
a 4 inch sunfish on a size 32 midge

I don't think I have caught 70 pounds of fish in total this year.
Kick that Carpin’ into gear, you’ll get there! 😉

I caught a pretty nice carp on a size 22 trico spinner a few years back. I don’t know actually how big the fish was but it certainly was a big fish on a little fly.

Many years ago I used to look for carp feeding on top during insect activity on a well known berks creek that had alot of carp in it. Usually size 20 , well over 4lb.

I caught a real big carp, well over twenty inches and fat on a small (probably size 8?) Clouser Crayfish. Have caught lots of twenty inch plus trout on size 18 and even 20 dries. I am sure at some point I caught a 20" trout on a tiny trico.

Big flies are my thing, but I once caught a trout on a size 14 caddis nymph.

Back