Small Streams Rod - What to look for?

goodfortune

goodfortune

I've been looking at getting a rod for small streams/brook trout fishing, and maybe for times when I will be mainly fishing dry flies. I’m thinking of a shorter rod (7’6”) for a lighter line weight (3 or 4 wt.) than the 5 wt. I use for most of my fishing now.

Am I on the right track? A few of my questions include:

* What rod action or other features I should be looking for?

* Is there much difference between a 3 wt. and a 4 wt.? What are the differences between the two in terms of casting and fishing?

* Will a rod suited for small streams/brook trout be a good rod for dry flies? If not, what are the trade-offs?

* Should I be looking at a heavier line wt. rod (#5 or #6) for a brook trout rod?

All responses and feedback are welcome. If it helps, I’m considering the St. Croix Imperial, Echo Carbon, and TFO Finesse, among others. Thanks guys.

Many people go with light line weights and short rods for tight streams, but I subscribe to the theory that you want a heavier overlined rod for punching tight loops through the brush. Having fished tight streams with both types of rigs, I have to agree that the heavier, overlined rig was much nicer to fish.

Delicate presentation isn't a concern, and honestly, a brook trout in a small stream doesn't fight very well no matter what you use to catch it. I'd say go with a 4 or 5wt with one size heavier line. This will allow it to load at short range, and punch flies through the tiniest openings. A faster action rod is nice for this kind of application.

My opinion is that the 3wts should be saved for dry fly fishing in open spaces that require a touch of delicacy.

There's a thread somewhere on here were someone bought a Dorber rod specifically made for tight streams. Much of this discussion, I believe, has already happened there and it may be of some help for you.

I use a 7'6 3 wt, overlined with a 4 wt line. IMO its a lot more fun to catch fish in a stream with a 2 or 3 weight. I don't see the joy in catching a 5 inch brook trout with a 5 or 6 weight rod, bit overkill. But, its all a matter of opinion

JayL said my thoughts to perfection on the matter. I use a 7' 6" 4/5 wt rod with a 6 wt line. I really wanted a straight 5 wt with a 6 wt line, but I ran into a problem, its hard to find a true 5 wt under 8' in length!

That said, the type of small brookie stream we are talking about are little headwater freestoners with a lot of brush. Since everyone seems to have a different definition of what a small brookie stream is, its hard to say. Also, the fun for me is in where you go, and casting to difficult places, not in the fight of the fish. The guys that like the lower line weights seem to like to feel a fish fight. To me, you don't go to these streams for the fight! NJK is right, difference of opinion.

But on length, most of us agree, go as long as possible, but not longer. On some really rhododendron choked streams, I've wished I had a 6' rod before. My 7'6" is about right for most. If its wide open, hey, go longer!

Generally, lower line weights are more highly thought of for dries, they have a more delicate presentation. But stiffer rods can do fine for dries if you need distance or a tight loop. And on these little headwater streams, IMO those concerns outweight delicacy. My style of brookie fishing would be hard to describe as requiring delicacy. Stealth, yes. But once your close enough, throwing a size 12 dry through a 2 foot window, not worrying about drag or disrupting the surface, thats not delicacy, and the fish don't care! It's like sneaking up on em and then hitting em over the head with a sledgehammer. Highly effective.

Credit where it's due- pcray originally told me about this whole thing.

It just makes sense to me.

Regarding wide open streams:

There's a brookie stream that I fish in shenandoah where I've considered using my 11' rod. I very well may do it next time I go. There is no real canopy, and some *very* large boulders. Longer is better, when you can get away with it.

If you wanted to trace it back farther, I believe I got my base philosophy on the matter from Joe Humphrey's. I had some human influences too, they mostly got me reaquainted with brookie fishing a few years ago, and I became an addict. While experimenting and trying to get better, its when I read about Humphrey's techniques, and tried them, that I started to realize how effective it was, and I got better quickly.

1 word: Cheap!

I have a 7'6'' 4 wt. I kinda wish i had a 2 or 3 wt though. Like mike said think cheap!

For dry fly fishing I like using a 7' 4wt with either a 4wt or 5wt line. For fishing nymphs, I like using as long of a rod that I can get away with; however, using small streamers and buggers on a short rod can be quite effective.

I agree with Jay, Pcray and others that overlining 1 weight above, faster rods for tight loops, and the longest rod you can get away with is the way to go.

I test cast several TXLs at the Somerset show and fell in love with the rod. I got a Sage TXL 7'10" 3wt blank cheap on e-bay a few weeks ago. (from France of all places), and can't wait to build it. It is a fast rod that will make a perfect 4wt for small streams. Perfect length, action and weight for 80% of my small stream fishing.

Nice new avatar there GoodFortune, looks like a sweet brown!

I'd say a 7.5 foot 3 or 4 weight, probably inexpensive should be your next rod. You can overline it if you like, easy enough to try your 5 weight line on it. This is your small stream beater rod. Later you can fill in a higher quality 4 weight dry fly rod in the 8-9 foot range.

greys has a 7 ft 2wt for $99 im getting one for backup

For small streams, I like rods in the 6'10 to 4' in lenght and 3,4 or 5 wieght lines. I like rods that can cast only the leader and up to 20' of fly line. IMO you need several rods depending on the stream, how tight the banks and overhanging veg and head back to the truck for the proper rod if needed or not too far away. I like bamboo and glass the best in the shorter lenght rods (well all the time but that is a different story :) ).

Joe E

Hey; thanks for all the input guys. I decided on an Albright GP 76454 (7'6" 4/5 wt.). I may get a 4 wt line for it, but I will try it out with the 5 wt. reel and line I have now.

albatross wrote:
Nice new avatar there GoodFortune, looks like a sweet brown!

My complements to the photographer ;-)

For what it's worth, for small limestoners and spring creeks, or other wide open streams:

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/versi10.html

http://www.versitex.com/versitex/main.html

Versitex 7'9'' 3wt. It's a sweet rod. It's all I use at valley creek. I will have it at the jam if anyone would like to cast first. I think they have a lifetime warranty. I've broken mine twice, and am not the original owner. They replaced the rod for 25 or 50 bucks.

They are made in Phoenixville.

While my preferance is for extremely short rods for brookie fishing (under 6') these are an aquired taste and I wouldn't recommend one for starters.
More importantly, get a multi piece rod that breaks down to fit in a short rod tube. This will make for easier hiking.

Back