Small Stream Shenanigans - Bonkers for Browns

jifigz

jifigz

Hey, PAFF! It has been a while since I have done a small stream update for ya'll, so let me give you one. With all of this rain, bigger creeks are blown, so I went small stream angling and found some good water. Yesterday, I headed to a stream section that I have never done well on, until that day. I high-sticked/tightlined a bugger through some raging pocket water, and I found plenty of fish willing to eat. I was using my 8'6" Redington CT 4 weight with a hand tied leader that was about 3 feet of 15 lb maxima chameleon, to 18" of gold Stren, to a tippet right, which then went to about 2 feet of 4x. I was tightlining with my fly line out of the tip of my rod. I used to do this type of fishing a lot with just a regular extruded leader. The hand tied leader with the gold Stren helps so much. Anyways, the creek was in perfect shape, and I turned up about 12 fish or so and had so many missed takes or fish lost, too.

Today, I went out again, but I went to a different stream. The conditions at this creek were even better, and the trout were so, so willing to eat that same bugger fished the same way. In about 2 hours of fishing today, I bet I landed 30 browns, missed and/or lost just as many browns, and it was AWESOME! I was on a small stream, but I found some decent quality fish. The conditions on both creeks were so good that you could sneak up to them so much without them ever knowing you were there.

Folks, get your rods and head to small streams. They are DYN-O-MITE! These two days were good times and the fishing was the best of the season so far for me. I love it when I can go out, tie on one fly, and just fish the whole time. No changing. No screwing around. Just focused fishing with many takes. Gotta love it!

Oh, there were sulphurs coming off both cricks, but I didn't try to fish em.....

Nice couple of days! I fished a small Class A that is stocked and got COVERED UP in bows early. It was pretty ridiculous. A 35-40 fish day, but 40% were stockers!

Eventually, when it warmed and fog burned off, I found the fish that earned that Class A, but man it was trying my patience. I even had my first stocker double of the year.

I also saw a smattering of sulfurs in NEPA this afternoon.

Last edited:
Was just out this morning on a small Class A. Water was up with nice green tint. Fished very similar to you ...Micro Golden Retriever. About two dozen Browns absolutely choked it down. Nothing big but very steady action with the 9"-13" crowd. Caught all of my fish on the edges in the softer water. I saw a few Sulphurs but not enough to bring the fish up or make me want to change my setup. Hoping to hit some brookie water later this week. Get off your azz and getcha some 👍

Was just out this morning on a small Class A. Water was up with nice green tint. Fished very similar to you ...Micro Golden Retriever. About two dozen Browns absolutely choked it down. Nothing big but very steady action with the 9"-13" crowd. Caught all of my fish on the edges in the softer water. I saw a few Sulphurs but not enough to bring the fish up or make me want to change my setup. Hoping to hit some brookie water later this week. Get off your azz and getcha some 👍
I knew you'd chime in.

Last edited:
Hey, PAFF! It has been a while since I have done a small stream update for ya'll, so let me give you one. With all of this rain, bigger creeks are blown, so I went small stream angling and found some good water. Yesterday, I headed to a stream section that I have never done well on, until that day. I high-sticked/tightlined a bugger through some raging pocket water, and I found plenty of fish willing to eat. I was using my 8'6" Redington CT 4 weight with a hand tied leader that was about 3 feet of 15 lb maxima chameleon, to 18" of gold Stren, to a tippet right, which then went to about 2 feet of 4x. I was tightlining with my fly line out of the tip of my rod. I used to do this type of fishing a lot with just a regular extruded leader. The hand tied leader with the gold Stren helps so much. Anyways, the creek was in perfect shape, and I turned up about 12 fish or so and had so many missed takes or fish lost, too.

Today, I went out again, but I went to a different stream. The conditions at this creek were even better, and the trout were so, so willing to eat that same bugger fished the same way. In about 2 hours of fishing today, I bet I landed 30 browns, missed and/or lost just as many browns, and it was AWESOME! I was on a small stream, but I found some decent quality fish. The conditions on both creeks were so good that you could sneak up to them so much without them ever knowing you were there.

Folks, get your rods and head to small streams. They are DYN-O-MITE! These two days were good times and the fishing was the best of the season so far for me. I love it when I can go out, tie on one fly, and just fish the whole time. No changing. No screwing around. Just focused fishing with many takes. Gotta love it!

Oh, there were sulphurs coming off both cricks, but I didn't try to fish em.....
You always have some great success on the small streams. I will be in your neck of the woods next weekend.

Those creeks look to be in perfect condition post-rain!

Nice Josh.

Big stream guys call that “blown out”. Small stream guys call that “dialed in”.

Had plans to get out yesterday, but an under the weather (and pregnant) wife and 16 month old at home threw a wrench in that plan.

Nice Josh.

Big stream guys call that “blown out”. Small stream guys call that “dialed in”.

Had plans to get out yesterday, but an under the weather (and pregnant) wife and 16 month old at home threw a wrench in that plan.
yeah nothing like being able casually toss a bugger out there and have fish aggressively smash the fly. I have had streams you would otherwise swear there are no trout in come to life under high water conditions.

Back