Small stream rod recommendations

tabasco_joe

This probably has been discussed before but I'll start a new thread. I know a number of manufacturers are bringing out new lines and others are dropping old lines.

I'm looking for a small stream rod in the 6'6" to 7' range. Preferably 5 wt which casts nicely with short amount of line out. The rod should be under $200 or so since I figure it will get beat up. A three or four piece would be nice since I plan on backpacking into some areas. I have one 7'6" 4 piece St Croix 4 wt but it's too stiff to cast short lines. Any suggestions or thoughts?

You could overline your st. croix. Did you ever try that?

I purchased a 7'0" 5 weight this year and have used it all year, even on some larger streams. It is a White River Classic rod & reel combo. I purchased it at Bass Pro Shops. It is a 3 piece and I spent just over $200 for combo and 5 weight line. I could not fit all of the line and backing on the small reel, so I subtracted some backing. The reel is machined black with a decent drag for such a small outfit, The rod is a gray blank that is non reflective and nice looking reel seat of finished wood and polished metal. I have so far been highly satisfied caught many trout on it and had only been disapointed once as I lost a very large rainbow, and thought maybe another foot of rod and some stronger tippet would have landed it. But I've had no trouble with most trout between 10"-16". I like to have a smaller rod especially spring and summer when I might be hiking through the brush with some zip off pants and sandals. As I avoid waders any time the water above say 60 degrees. This rod suits me I hope it holds up for several years as I broke my old old St. Croix Pro Graphite the other night and until I buy a larger outfit this is what I got.

jayL wrote:

Thought about it, haven't tried it. I have overlined some of my faster action 9' rods to try to help with tandem rigs. Didn't get the level of softening I envision is needed with the St Croix. It is something I want to try if we get a warm, calm, afternoon. Have you done much overlining?

tabasco_joe wrote:
jayL wrote:

Thought about it, haven't tried it. I have overlined some of my faster action 9' rods to try to help with tandem rigs. Didn't get the level of softening I envision is needed with the St Croix. It is something I want to try if we get a warm, calm, afternoon. Have you done much overlining?

I have on some rods that are probably slower than your St Croix. I don't fish small streams enough to invest in the extra line anymore, but I do put a 10wt line on my 9wt for salmon and big water steelhead. (lots of short casts, not much back cast room)

I purchased this rod in a 3 wt, 6' 3" size for the small stream fishing I do. I'm no expert by any stretch, but it seems to do a fine job for tight streams with a low canopy, etc. At 6' 3", it doesn't have a lot of action for any kind of distance casting, but for small stream fishing, I'm not doing much of that anyway.

All components seem to be of sufficient quality and the reel is machined; it's a three-piece setup.

I see they have a 7', 5 wt rod for $179. FYI, these are standard arbor reels.

wgmiller wrote

"I see they have a 7', 5 weight model for $179"

That is the the combo I bought at Bass Pro Shops this year. You say you have the 6'3" model. I thought about getting that one but decided i wanted a short heavier weight so I could fish smaller streams but still have the versatility to throw bigger stuff if I needed. I was really tempted to go smaller and lighter though. Maybe another year. It would great if I didn't have to compromise over cost, length, weight, and quality. Then I would a different rod for each stream. I have to say though, that I'm satisfied with my White River outfit. It performs well for my standards and looks good too.

I just started ff'ing a few months ago and I'm already on the cusp of buying my third rod (have a 3wt, 5wt and looking at an 8wt). I can see how accumulating rods could really become an issue. Women shop, us guys buy more fly rods! :-D

I have no complaints with the White River rod. It has performed well and seems to be made of quality materials. Yeah, it's no Orvis or G. Loomis, but for the occasional fisherman like me, it does the trick. I really don't have a bad thing to say about any White River branded products...

I use a March Brown Hidden Waters rod for pack-in and small stream fishing. The one I have is a 7’/6’ 4wt – 7 piece. It converts to a 6’ rod by leaving off one section. It comes with a cloth covered hard case that fits into your backpack. It also has a lifetime guarantee against breakage. It casts and fishes very well for me. I would rate the action as medium fast.

Here is a link to an online FF site located in Delaware County, PA that sells them. It’s close to the $200 range you mentioned. Good luck.

http://store.beekflies.com/marchbrown4.html

Tabasco_Joe, have you given any thought to Fiberglass rods?
I have switched over to them instead of the stiff graphite I had been using. I use them for Trout and Bass now. Very durable rods, since you mention back packing them. The action is real smooth too. Here is a reputable builder...one of many, but he may be able to give you some advice and build one in your price range. I have built a couple one piece 3wt and 6wt glass rods and love them. Will be doing my first 2 piece next month.
If you are interested, here is a link. (I have no affiliation)

http://www.prairiedrifterrods.com/

Good luck in your search.

You may also want to look into the cabela's clear creek line or even the cabelas PT+ line of rods. I have a 5'6" cleer creek in a 4wt. And i have a 6'6" PT+ in a 2wt. I love both of them. I find myself leaning more towards the clear creek though i tend to use it more it seems a little more accurate when casting. I think the PT+ would be a little better if i over-lined it though. Both rods range between 100-150 bucks.

IMO, I would look for Bamboo or fiberglass in a short fly rod.

Joe E

Fiberglass is indeed perfect for a small stream rod. I had a 7' 3 wt. built from a Lamiglas FL843-3 blank http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?groupid=30 and it is very nice for small streams. The nice thing about a custom rod is that you can get whatever hardware you want on it. Blank is only 65 bucks for the two piece and 85 for the three.

"7' 3 wt. built from a Lamiglas FL843-3 blank "

Hmmm...That is the one I am building next month. Just waiting for the blank to come in. It will be hard for me to go back to the graphite. I have very few places that I fish that need extremely long casts. And for a pack rod, they are a lot more durable.

Back