Small stream nymphing for dummies

F

Forestfishin

I fish mostly smaller streams. Linn Run, Jones Mill Run, East Hickory Creek for those of you in western PA to give an idea of what I consider a small stream. I’m comfortable fishing dries and streamers but with nymphs don’t know where to begin. I’ve fished dry droppers and had some success but was interested in other options. With a 7 1/2 foot 4 wt and 8 1/2 foot 5 wt as rod options how would you all approach fishing small streams with nymphs?

For me, fishing small streams with nymphs usually starts with it hanging off a dry. Dry dropper is always a good place to start when trying to figure out what they're hitting on.

The Troutbitten crew has a pretty good podcast skillset series built around nymphing from last season. 3-4 episodes that breaks it down pretty well. Worth seeking that out.

Hard to beat a dry dropper, but if you don't change up the depth you are fishing and/or the fish aren't looking up, it can be a challenge. I also don't find a dry dropper that easy for me in riffles. Pocket water, yes, for short drifts, it is awesome. Fish up in riffles actively eating, nope.

An adjustable wool indicator might solve that.

Honestly, I fish a lot of small streams with a 10 ft 3 weight (or a 9') and a thin mono rig with one bug and just hit the high percentage holes. I might miss fish that I could catch with a dry dropper in the tailouts, for example, but bigger fish seem to find the prime spots, and those are often softer spots closer to the bouncier water. A little Payette paste to float the sighter, and you can manage in the deeper slower spots too.

Hard to beat a dry dropper, but if you don't change up the depth you are fishing and/or the fish aren't looking up, it can be a challenge. I also don't find a dry dropper that easy for me in riffles. Pocket water, yes, for short drifts, it is awesome. Fish up in riffles actively eating, nope.

An adjustable wool indicator might solve that.

Honestly, I fish a lot of small streams with a 10 ft 3 weight (or a 9') and a thin mono rig with one bug and just hit the high percentage holes. I might miss fish that I could catch with a dry dropper in the tailouts, for example, but bigger fish seem to find the prime spots, and those are often softer spots closer to the bouncier water. A little Payette paste to float the sighter, and you can manage in the deeper slower spots too.
I agree. Go with an adjustable wool or synthetic indie. Get a New Zealand tool and go from there.

I love to fish small streams with a nymph...

I usually cast directly upstream using the smallest Lightning Strike or Fish Pimp foam indicators.

If they make too much commotion I use a short piece of plain old waterproofed Glo Bugs Yarn that I attach to my leader using no tools or gizmos. I attach it using a variation of a simple looping trick that allows the yarn to be moved or REmoved without kinking my leader.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Will check out the Troutbitten podcast.

I’ll look into the adjustable wool indicators. I have a few of the smaller airlock indicators. Guessing those may be preferable in faster choppier water and the wool in calmer water where the fish might spook easier?

I’m heading to camp Wednesday through Saturday so I’ll have a few days to experiment and see what works in different situations.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Will check out the Troutbitten podcast.

I’ll look into the adjustable wool indicators. I have a few of the smaller airlock indicators. Guessing those may be preferable in faster choppier water and the wool in calmer water where the fish might spook easier?

I’m heading to camp Wednesday through Saturday so I’ll have a few days to experiment and see what works in different situations.
I mostly gave up on all indicators except for yarn years ago. Occasionally, I may use a Corq or a Airlock or something. If I need a big indy to float a lot of weight, then I usually go for a "Dorsey" style. I have them pre-tied as Troutbitten demonstrated. After using those for a few years, I actually bought the New Zealand though, and that is mostly what I use now all of the time.

One tip: Buy a skein of Bonnie Craft cord in your preferred color, and use that to make your indies with the NZ tool and forget their wool. The macrame cord floats so much better, and for about $5, you will have a lifetime supply of material.

Another hint: Bonnie Craft cord is a fabulous material to use at the vise.

Oros now offers a very small indicator!

I mostly gave up on all indicators except for yarn years ago. Occasionally, I may use a Corq or a Airlock or something. If I need a big indy to float a lot of weight, then I usually go for a "Dorsey" style. I have them pre-tied as Troutbitten demonstrated. After using those for a few years, I actually bought the New Zealand though, and that is mostly what I use now all of the time.

One tip: Buy a skein of Bonnie Craft cord in your preferred color, and use that to make your indies with the NZ tool and forget their wool. The macrame cord floats so much better, and for about $5, you will have a lifetime supply of material.

Another hint: Bonnie Craft cord is a fabulous material to use at the vise.
Did order the New Zealand tool. Looks like an easy system to use and adjustable on the fly. The cord sounds like a win if cheaper and floats better. Good to know

I'll endorse an amalgamation of above comments, with the caveat that I don't know the streams you mentioned: On small brookie-type streams, especially with lots of plunge pools, my nymph setup is an Oros bobber, a length of tippet below that doesn't exceed the deepest holes (maybe 1-3 ft), and a single fly. I generally fish this when it's cold out or high water and a dry is either not a feasible or not getting any love.

If I'm not trying to match some bugs on top (which I rarely am with brook trout), I start with a big stonefly like a Kaufmann's or a Pat's, and then I'll work down through smaller mayfly-ish nymphs as needed until something gets attention.

Last edited:
Back