small hooks

S

SteveG

I thought I read somewhere that offsetting the bend of small hooks (sz18-26) can help with hooking. I just want some opinions if its helpful, or not needed.

Yep, it will help with the smaller sizes as you mentioned. You could off set them at your vice, but you could also do it streamside when you run into finicky risers and make adjustments when needed.

Sure does.

Vince Marinaro was advocating that back in the 1970's and had his own branded hooks made by Partridge which featured the offset. They are still available as the Partridge Vince Marinaro Midge K1a.

These days most of the modern Japanese hooks have a pretty wide gap as compared to the old Mustad 94842's most folks used back then so hook-ups have improved on most hooks without doing a thing.

I also favor a ringed or straight eye on hooks smaller than 20. YMMV but I swear by the Daiichi 1110 for sizes 20-26 and the Tiemco 518 for 28-32 although the 518's are no longer made so I am hording the ones I have and the flies I tied with them.

A strike adjustment when fishing really tiny flies will probably help with hook-ups more than anything. A slow "tightening" of the line versus a quick hook-set usually works for me and I fish a lot small stuff, even down to 32.

Bamboozle wrote:
Vince Marinaro was advocating that back in the 1970's and had his own branded hooks made by Partridge which featured the offset. They are still available as the Partridge Vince Marinaro Midge K1a.

These days most of the modern Japanese hooks have a pretty wide gap as compared to the old Mustad 94842's most folks used back then so hook-ups have improved on most hooks without doing a thing.

I also favor a ringed or straight eye on hooks smaller than 20. YMMV but I swear by the Daiichi 1110 for sizes 20-26 and the Tiemco 518 for 28-32 although the 518's are no longer made so I am hording the ones I have and the flies I tied with them.

A strike adjustment when fishing really tiny flies will probably help with hook-ups more than anything. A slow "tightening" of the line versus a quick hook-set usually works for me and I fish a lot small stuff, even down to 32.

^ Take note....there's some good advice.

I most always do it for flies under a size 20. You will definitely have more luck doing it. I trust what Vince says. I also normally offset them at the vise. It is just easier.

Thanks for the info guys. I need to work on that slow tightening up for my dry fly diet. Tough when you fish for a few hours with nothing, then one finally surprises you hahaha. Yesterday was beautiful.

Absolutely. Also, strike direction becomes more important. Always set on the downstream side. Want to be pulling the hook towards the back of the fish, not out it's mouth.

Along those same lines, hook up rates are better with the fly upstream or out from you, rather than downstream. Especially important with those small flies. And if you do find that you have no choice and have to fish downstream, make sure you wait till the fish goes down with it, and make sure the set is high (as in vertical) to have any chance of catching the upper lip.

Only (minor) thing I have to add to the excellent advice(s) above is that doing the offset bend at the vise before you start tying is that some of the older hooks might snap. Best for that to happen before you expend the effort and materials of tying the fly.

Now, if you are being really particular, you might want to offset some to the left and some to the right, depending on the angle that you are presenting to the trouts.

I've been using Daiichi 1120 and Tiemco 2488 curved hooks sizes 18 and smaller. These curved hook have an wide gap built in. Based on my experience, I feel they've helped me hook and land more fish.

Only drawback is these hooks do not have long shank to tie on material but you will get used to using less material and still have a fly that works.

Dale

lestrout wrote:
Only (minor) thing I have to add to the excellent advice(s) above is that doing the offset bend at the vise before you start tying is that some of the older hooks might snap. Best for that to happen before you expend the effort and materials of tying the fly.

Now, if you are being really particular, you might want to offset some to the left and some to the right, depending on the angle that you are presenting to the trouts.

Les is a very astute angler pays an unbelieveable amount of attention to detail.

I purchase hooks that are offset right out of the package. The first thing I do after I put them in the vise............is straighten out the offset...lol.

If you visualize what Les is saying above...depending on your position in relation to the fish, the angle of the hook bites more on one side but doesn't bite at all if positioned on the other side.

Slide an offset hook along a flat surface or along your hand (be careful). It bites on one side, but when flipped over it just glides along the surface on the other side. Not a good thing IMO.

I like my hooks without any offset for that reason.

afishinado wrote:
I purchase hooks that are offset right out of the package. The first thing I do after I put them in the vise............is straighten out the offset...lol.

If you visualize what Les is saying above...depending on your position in relation to the fish, the angle of the hook bites more on one side but doesn't bite at all if positioned on the other side.

Slide an offset hook along a flat surface or along your hand (be careful). It bites on one side, but when flipped over it just glides along the surface on the other side. Not a good thing IMO.

I like my hooks without any offset for that reason.

I concur even though I don't really imagine in practice any hook will ever be perfectly inline with the tippet/line/rod/reel/fish/horizon in relation to where an offset will be at the moment a trout strikes.

In other words, who really knows which way the hook will be oriented when you set the hook. The fact I often hook fish in the upper jaw with the hook point up or the fact that all dry flies (at least MY dry flies) don't land perfectly reinforces that belief.

Therefore I also don't bother offsetting, however I will on occasion open up a gap when I miss a few fish that I feel wasn't just due to stupidity or overzealous hooksetting.

Which brings up another point, why do we miss fish at all when 100% of the time a hook will snag in your clothes, a tree, or a leaf floating down a creek?

Back