SMALL FRY: Chapter Two; How the Fireworks Started

R

ronP

Hello. Happy Monday.

Chapter Two of Small Fry has just been published online by Global Fly Fisher. This latest installment of my online free fishing book experiment celebrates the 4th of July by describing how the fireworks started in my fly fishing pursuit of small fry in general and smallmouth bass in particular:

Presenting Brookus bassa; The Smallmouth

http://globalflyfisher.com/writings/small-fry/?c=2

I also survey the angling literature and acknowledge some of the celebrity giants (Bob Clouser and Harry Murray) and show how seemingly unrelated writings by Sylvester Nemes and Thomas McGuane have informed my own fly fishing for "the gentlemen of warmwater fishes" -- the smallmouth bass.

Rod & Reeling Regards,

-- ron P.

Thanks, Ron good stuff! The Wissahickon always intriqued me. I remember our yearly trips to see the Phillies which usually took us along this creek and marvelled at what an oasis it for such an urban region. I also recall reading an article about a German settlement that sprung up there in the late 17th or early 18th settlement as well as a book about the early planned suburbs in the area. I wonder how the fishing was back then?
Jay P.

Hi. I appreciate the thumbs up feedback.

My first book, Philadelphia on the Fly, explored the Philadelphia fishery and some of its history in depth. There is a spiritual quality about the Wissahickon Valley, as several colonial religious sects held baptisms there, and a few monks even lived there in the natural caves. You can sometimes feel their ghosts, and those of the Lenni Lenape people, too, watching you at dusk, as the thrush sing and the brown trout rise.

Back