Small fly Hookup Ratios

jifigz

jifigz

I don't fish tiny flies all that often but there is no denying that sometimes it is a size 20 zebra midge or so that just gets the job done. I love the midge and have lots of confidence in it but I seem to lose so many fish just after the hook set and I'm assuming it has to just be the tiny hook. Does everyone experience these problems when fishing tiny flies? Can anyone offer any tips for me to lose less of those fish?

I lose more than when I use a bigger fly. Still land most. Make sure the hook is very sharp, a lot of times it kind of gets stuck in the white area around the trouts mouth and doesn't penetrate deeply. I think its harder to do this with a dull hook. I use tmc 2488 hooks.

jifigz wrote:
I don't fish tiny flies all that often but there is no denying that sometimes it is a size 20 zebra midge or so that just gets the job done. I love the midge and have lots of confidence in it but I seem to lose so many fish just after the hook set and I'm assuming it has to just be the tiny hook. Does everyone experience these problems when fishing tiny flies? Can anyone offer any tips for me to lose less of those fish?

Losing more fish on very tiny hooks is pretty much the norm. Small hooks hook less tissue and often pull out during the fight with a fish.

I like to use hooks with a short shank which gives it a larger gape for the length of the hook.

I C&R and don't count fish, so i actually appreciate a long line release; and I know the fish surely do. :)

It helps to try to fish upstream to the fish as much as you can.
Pulling the fly back into the fish's mouth gives more hookups

I usually lose a few but I don't think hook size has as much to do with it as how I set the hook. A down stream or down and slightly up hook set is more effective for me than a straight up or upstream hook set.

I usually am fishing nymphs in the #14-#22 range. Everything I fish anymore is barbless and I don't know if that accounts for one or two fish that come off in the fight or not. But I don't concern myself much with it.

Just try to smoothly lift the rod when you have a hookup. I also use softer graphite rods. While the fly is in the vise, I have also bent the shank so the point sticks out to the side a bit. I can't say for sure whether it actually makes a difference though.

two things - 1) try a strip set rather than lift, or 2) try a side sweep rather than a lift.

there was an article on Midcurrent a while back.

I use #20 zebras a lot. its my go to fly. I have about a 90% hook up rate using a sweep.

Line control is number 1. Excess line is an absolute killer regardless of how well you lift, sweep, strip, etc.

offset point just a little,will do much better job.i suspect it was in the vid but didn't watch.

dryflyguy wrote:
It helps to try to fish upstream to the fish as much as you can.
Pulling the fly back into the fish's mouth gives more hookups

I always fish this way with nymphs. I don't tightline and I don't use indicators. My line floating freely is my indicator. Even with me pulling back into the fishes mouth my ratios with tiny hooks are not what I'd like. Nice tip though, thanks.

afish and SteveG are on with their advice.
I believe most people set the hook much too hard with tiny hooks and drive the hook half way out of the tissue on the initial set.
A brad nail drives through a pine board a lot easier than a railroad spike does, same principle.

While I have great confidence in the hooking and holding power of small hooks, I think once you get smaller than a size #18, you start to get diminishing returns with hooking capability.

I'll second the suggestion that you present upstream (which you're already doing) as this tends to result more in corner jaw stick spots and this is where tiny hooks do well. I usually fish tricos downstream and getting good hook sets is tough. I try to get as close to the fish as possible, wait for the fish to sip the fly, close its mouth and turn downward, and then I set the hook gently by trying to get a good angle on the fish by raising the rod upward or striking off to the side. Just don't set the hook hard - just tighten up on the fish.

I also agree with slightly bending the hook outward and to the side (gently, don't overdo this - some tiny hooks don't like this and will break).

For any fly under a #18 use a straight eyed hook, this gives you a wider gap between the eye and the point of the hook and the chances of getting a good hook-up are greatly increased. Also make sure you check the sharpness of the hook and dull hook will cause a lot of missed fish.

so is the way of the tiny fly! i definitely lose more fish on flies smaller than 18. all the advice above is pretty sound tho. line control being a big one, also side-pressure is very important, much more than when fishing a larger fly. I find if I am not on my A game and I am putting a little too much upwards pressure, that is when I typically get unbuttoned.

Back