Slowing Down

Rolf

Rolf

I honestly can’t remember when I began fly fishing but it’s been at least 15 years or so. I began with a Cortland outfit and soon succumbed to the hype and found myself purchasing faster and faster rods. This morning I took a look at the “inventory”, and realized my tastes have definitely changed over the years. Most of the “Ferraris” are now gone and the majority of my rods are slow to medium action. Granted I’m older now but can’t say that’s the reason. I believe it’s the fact I enjoy the feel of casting more in addition to the way the slower rods feel when you play a fish. Anyone else go through this or am I just showing signs of age?

Thanks.
Rolf

Sounds like someone is ready for a serious bamboo fix....

I must agree with Tomgamber................. "Time to take up the Grass Rod"!
Although, yes, I also went through about the same thing, that you have, Rolf. But, I think a LOT of it, was due to "advertising hype", when "fast rods... getting your fly out on the water, in as many casts as you can with a super fast rod"..........was all the rage.
Thankfully, thinking and rods, have now slowed down somewhat and it appears to me that fly fishing is once more, "being pushed and sold" as the true art form and beautiful sport that it's always been.
So, slower action rods..........and especially, the bamboo, is coming back around again as "THE" rod action to use!
Personally, I was lucky, (I THINK?), because when I started out, throwing the Long Rod, two things were evident back then................there were ONLY slow action F-glass rods, to be had and I was once told to; "Fish with a fly rod, that matches your mental capacity!". "SLOW", fit me perfectly.

tomgamber wrote:
Sounds like someone is ready for a serious bamboo fix....

Tom unfortunately I learned about that "fix" many years ago and it has proved to be a costly one, although I can't honestly say I regret it. As someone once said, "Welcome to the Dark Side."

Rolf

I bought a fast rod to fish big water. You know, long casts for big water, blah, blah. I found out that on big water, accuracy and controlling drag were just as or more important than on the smaller streams. So I went back to my slower rods, which are easier and more pleasant to cast short. Funny thing is, I've found I can cast the slow rods just as far as that "line cannon". I'm sure it's just my casting style. Well, maybe not entirely sure...

Anyway, here's to Winston and Orvis, the kings of slow action graphite. But even more to bamboo, which they are trying to copy! :pint:

Ok, then how about an old glass wonder rod...not much slower then that ...roll cast awesome...and have that slow feel you described and won't break your 401K.

I didn't have to "come back" to slow rods. I never left.

But all this might mean is that even when I was young, I was old...

I dunno.

tomgamber wrote:
Ok, then how about an old glass wonder rod...not much slower then that ...roll cast awesome...and have that slow feel you described and won't break your 401K.

Tom I sure hope you and I never meet becuase you seem hell bent on me spending money! Actually I have a McFarland three weight and a Fenwick FF756-4.

RLeeP, I'd say that makes you a pretty smart fisherman. You didn't get caught up in all the hype. Like flybinder, I guess I'm learning... it just took me years to find it out.

Rolf

No, you don't have to spend a dime..I'll let you borrow the one I have here. Its a little too slow for me. I use it once in a blue moon, just for kicks. You could probably find your own on ebay for less then 20 bucks...not a lot of demand for them. Fish with an old willow switch for all I care they're free. Just trying to think of rods that fit your preference that you mentioned.

I go the other way. Every time I try out some rods I gravitate to the faster actions. Just seems to fit my style. When i fish small streams I just go up one line size on the rod. Slows it slightly but enough to cast short. The slower rods just seem to feel like I'm holding a noodle.

I really wish I would have made it up to the bamboo gathering so I could have tried a number of actions.

Count me among the fast crowd caught up in and succumbing to the hype of the line cannon Ferrari jet-set.

Good thread Rolf. I did the same thing, except I never made it much past the Moderate action rods. Tried a few fast action rods, and didn't like the feel. I really do prefer the bamboo rods, but I don't buy new, and I don't buy expensive. I also repair my own. It really takes the sting out of it. On the other hand, I probably am rougher on them than I should be because I know if I break one, I don't have much into it, and I can do some repairs.

Tom is right, the old Wonderrods can be had for about 20 bucks plus S&H. I sold one a little while back, and that was in the ball park. They might be a little more now, but they are probably still less than the cheapest Cortland. There were a lot of them sold.

tomgamber wrote:
No, you don't have to spend a dime..I'll let you borrow the one I have here. Its a little too slow for me. I use it once in a blue moon, just for kicks. You could probably find your own on ebay for less then 20 bucks...not a lot of demand for them. Fish with an old willow switch for all I care they're free. Just trying to think of rods that fit your preference that you mentioned.

Tom I hope you understand my comment about you being hell bent on me spending money was a joke. As I said, this occured to me while I was looking over what rods I currently have and how my tastes have changed over the years. This inventory review also serves as a reminder that I probably have "enough," if such a thing is possible. Like Dave, I have been fishing bamboo for a while too and it seems to suit the slower action I now seem to enjoy. Thanks for the offer though.

Rolf

I guess it’s up to me (and Jack M.) to defend the honor of those of us who cling to the fast action rods. Even after fly-fishing for a long time and casting many different rods, I still gravitate towards the faster action rods. I own and fish some slow rods on occasion, but unlike many others who have posted, I do not derive pleasure from fishing a slow rod. When I pick up my XP after fishing a slow rod, I say to myself “now that’s more like it.” I remember the first time wandering into A&A Outfitters (in White Have at the time), one of the first shops to carry Sage rods; I strung one up and cast the rod…it was like magic!!! I didn’t have a lot of money at the time, but I saved my nickels and dimes and eventually bought one.

I agree with Pad, you don’t need a “line cannon” to cast far, and with respect to “fishing” distances, you rarely need to cast more than 50’ when fishing, while 20 – 40’ is the norm anyway. A fast rod is not needed, but it is preferred - by me at least.

I prefer a faster rod because I feel like I can cast a tight loop and be more accurate. Also, a tight loop helps when casting in the wind, and for casting under or through obstructions, etc. The amount of flex in a faster rod can controlled by the amount of speed used in the power stroke, and that can be adjusted by the caster.

One other thing about fast rods, just because a rod is fast and expensive, doesn’t’ mean it’s a great rod. I’ve cast a lot of fast rods that I hated. To me the perfect rod can cast off the tip with no effort, while progressively and smoothly flexing further down the rod by adding speed/power to the stroke. The right rod should cast well near or far.

BTW, there are some bamboo rods being built out there that are fast-actioned, and rival many of today’s high performance rods. Bamboo can be tapered for all casters preferences. I have cast bamboo rods that I really do like. The two downsides with bamboo are the added weight and the added price. The weight is no problem getting used with a the right reel to properly balance the outfit, but the price stops me at this point. One of these days I would like to have a boo maker build a fast action flamed rod for me, and I would like to finish the rod with my own grip and components. Until then, I’ll have to make due with fly fishing in the fast lane.

To be perfectly fair, I do enjoy the soft rods when my arm gets sore or I am feeling a bit more than my age. :cool:

afishinado wrote:
I own and fish some slow rods on occasion, but unlike many others who have posted, I do not derive pleasure from fishing a slow rod. When I pick up my XP after fishing a slow rod, I say to myself “now that’s more like it.”

That's funny, I've said the same thing after casting a fast action rod and then going back to the slower rods. Come to think of it, I said the same thing once after casting a super slow bamboo rod and switching back to my more moderate action bamboo. It is all in what you like. But that long slow action steelhead rod was a whole different animal. It was so slow, I had time to unbutton my tweed jacket between front and back casts. Tied a few knots with that one before i got used to it. But some people (Joe E) like it that way. :-D

One thing is for sure. Once I get used to a certain action, it takes me several casts to get used to it all over again when going significantly in either direction.

I remember the first time wandering into A&A Outfitters (in White Have at the time), one of the first shops to carry Sage rods; I strung one up and cast the rod…it was like magic!!! I didn’t have a lot of money at the time, but I saved my nickels and dimes and eventually bought one.

I have to admit that the one faster rod that I did like just happened to be a Sage, but I don't remember the model. Fairly fast and still had great feel. Sweet!

I'm really surprised at how many people are saying they are going away from the super fast rods.See Rolf, you started a trend.

All of you who tire of your super fast rods are welcome to send them my way. I can't afford them, but the ones I've cast were a dream.

In due time, I guess...

Chalk me up in "the faster the better" category. I love a good fast action rod. While I usually don't fish out much farther than 35 ft I love practicing throwing casts 75+ and feel all tingly when that rod tip loads for those! Haha. I have tried med. and slow rods but I just don't like the feel. Just like in my golf game I grip em and rip em. (Fortunately I'm a much better fisherman!)

Sage-after Fenwick's quality slipped.
Never gave the action any thought.
Used what John Bailey recommended as he has access to anything .

I do like slow, but Dave I have to admit that 10’er is even too slow for me. I’ve caught 30+ inch fish with that rod and it handles them great, but if you’re going to cast a big weighted flies or in the wind that’s not the rod to fish. I’ve had time to re-adjust my chest box, straighten my jacket and fix my hat (tweed of course) and take a few puff of the pipe and that was only on the back cast. I’ve been building med-fast rods lately (probably still slow to the circular rod folks) trying to get a taper I like to handle big streamers and crayfish patterns for smallies. I’m building a rod for Logan an 8’3” 3/4 weight quad that I think is going to be on the fast side but time will tell. You have to love bamboo each and everyone has their own personality. I never could understand why people are in such a hurry. I’ve pulled into parking lots and people think it is a foot race trying to run to a hole or section of water. I just laugh, I have enough stress in my life, and I don’t need it on the stream to beat someone to the water.

Joe E.

Back