Slotted Tungsten Beads

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

I noticed that when I tie using slotted beads - I have always been taught to not put the rounded edge up, rather to put the large slot facing up. When I flip my beads, I see that the bead hugs the top angled portion of my jig hooks better and leaves more hook shenk space for tying materials. The way I stage my slotted beads, I build a small thread dam which holds it in place. Which way do you put your beads? I finished around 300-350 flies my way and they catch fish just fine, but am I technically doing it "backwards"? I always put them with the large slot facing up for perdigons and pheasant tails since I can tuck materials and black resin in the slot.

I put the round end of slot facing up. I also don't build a thread dam as it adds bulk.
I stopped putting the black wing case on perdigones around 2 years ago unless tying a light body and looking for color contrast. My preference is to put a drop of " thick" UV resin in slot to seal bead and hitting it with the light before I coat the whole fly. If I want the color contrast I use permanent marker before coat of thin resin.

Back