Slotted Beads?

A

a23fish

As a rank amateur at tying flies, I want to know when you would use a slotted bead head vs. a normal bead head? Are the slotted versions for different styles of hooks, such as jig hooks or bent eye hooks? If for bent eye/jig hooks, does the slot go to the inside of the bend? What is the purpose of the slot?

Slotted are for jig hooks. The slot helps the bead seat closer to the eye.

This has been discussed not that long ago. A "normal" drilled bead will go on most jig hooks OK and be fully functional. It generally doesn't sit quite as tight to the eye, but it's not far off. I never tried a slotted bead on a standard hook, but I imagine it would be a little floppy. One other thing - I am pretty sure for the same diameter a slotted bead is just a bit heavier - in other words, there is a little less material removed by the slot than is removed by the conical hole of a conventional bead.

To add another twist, there are also a newer style wonky bead. The bead shape isn't really spherical, it's more egg-shaped with a hole if the narrower end. It changes how the bead sits on the hook and works well with jig hooks. Haven't tried any.

Back