Slotted beads

acesedgley

acesedgley

Why use slotted beads? Not familiar with them but seeing them used on patterns noted here much more than in the past.

They go in combination with jig style hooks
images

Make some great jigs with them.

Attachments

• D0647500-5BE9-43C0-BF8E-A9EB990DC265.jpeg
    D0647500-5BE9-43C0-BF8E-A9EB990DC265.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 13
I think the slotted beads also are slightly heavier than an equivalent size circular bored bead.
But you're right, they're not really required. They work better for jig hooks because of how they angle around the eye bend. If you are in a pinch, to use a circular bored bead on a jig hook, try turning the bead around and putting it on backwards from normal. It angles better. That works unless the bead is large in which case, the bead may cover the eye. But for some combos it works OK, and better than if you mount it the "right" way.

my experiment

I have tried circular bored beads on jig hooks and for certain combinations, they work ok the "normal" way and some where they work better reversed. There are some combinations of bead size and hook size where you can't get the bead around the hook angle, either way. With a slotted bead, the range of bead/hook combinations is much wider. Best advice is try it, if it works, great. If you're buying beads, the slotted ones are more versatile. They work fine on straight shank hooks. They sit a little off-center, but you can affix the bead in the orientation that makes the fly ride the right way in the water.

Back