Sling packs?

D

DavePa

Anyone using the Orvis sling packs?
If so, are you happy with them

I like mine, haven't used my vest since I got it.

Right now the older models are on sale for under $50 for the regular size.

Yup, I saw the sale and ordered one, it's due to arrive tomorrow. I'll find out if it can replace my pregnant Orvis vest. I have tried the lanyard thing, but feel very... uh... empty, LOL. This should be a decent compromise.
Mike B

I have the Orvis Guide Sling Pack. It is huge. I can carry anything and everything I could possibly need for a day of fishing. The smaller pack is adequate if you go light.

Love it.

Warm weather fishing is so much more comfortable without a vest. Cold weather fishing is easier because you don't have to fit your vest over several layers of clothing. It also works better with larger fly boxes and such. The main storage compartment can fit anything and the two smaller pockets can fit most boxes.

Kev

I think that the sling packs are good for spot fishing. By that I mean, if I am going to fish brookies that day I can take what I need in the pack. Same if I am going to a pond. But, in general, I find them less functional than a vest. The slings just don't have the ability to put things (all over your vest). So, if I am going to fish Penns all day, then the Little J the next, I need ALL MY STUFF in one vest.

I have noticed that the guys over 50 and especially guys like me, over 60, tend to be vesters and the younger guys do the sling packs and chest packs.

If anyone is thinking about it, I suggest getting a decent one but not paying out the whasooo for it. Then decide on how it meets your fishing style.

I have the smaller one and i like it for brookie fishing and steelhead. I like that its not so hot in the summer. and a LOT lighter than my vest. use it for steel as i don't have as much crap yet and don't use a net for targeting these two. Would use it more but i like to use a net most of the time. Have not found an option i like for carrying a net with a sling pack.

Yes, I agree. I meant to include my concern of not having a net on the likes of Penns and the Little J.

Ordered the Orvis Guide
I'll check back after a couple outings

I still prefer a vest ( and yes I'm well over 50) mostly for the same reason as Gene. And I'll add another - I usually wade deep on big streams. A shortie vest lets me do that with no problem.
Unless it's waterproof, I don't think you can do that with a sling.

I have an Orvis Guide sling, pretty happy with it. I have a net hooked to it. I don't have extensive hours using it yet but I don't see much downside.
John

I have a guide sling on the way...hopefully it' works for my fly fishing needs.

There is a d ring on the Orvis packs for a net.

Right now I use a wood handle net with a net clip screwed on the handle. I wear it on my belt. I plan on buying an aluminum handle net and I'll probably use the d ring.

I have a William Joseph Creel Slingpack. Bought it on clearance online although it it regular price everywhere else. I have loaded it up but am yet to use it but will this upcoming season.

I switched to a Orvis Guide Sling last year and won't look back any time soon. Easily holds everything I need for all day (even weekend long) affairs and is super comfortable. I'm getting ready to list all my other packs/backpack systems in the swap forum!

The only thing I would change on the pack is the location of the tippet holder. I would have it on the other side for right handed use.

Thanks
Orvis Guide on its way

Back