Sling pack recommendation

T

tracker12

I am in need of a new pack. I have an older Orvis sling pack and it's just not working for me anymore. Whats out there that you like.

I personally like the seam sling from vedavoo. Just about the right size for a single day. Snack/sandwich. 3 or 4 fly boxes. Water bottle. rain jacket. Net if you want. Easy access to stuff when you swing it around. And does a pretty good job of staying on your back. I carry it fully loaded for a full day of fishing and there’s no fatigue or soreness when I’m done. If you need a pack to carry a days worth of food and water and the kitchen sink, this is not the pack for that. For me it’s just the right size of minimalist.

I use these, have a few

Attachments

• tack sling pack.JPG
    tack sling pack.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
tracker12 wrote:
I am in need of a new pack. I have an older Orvis sling pack and it's just not working for me anymore. Whats out there that you like.

What don't you like about the Orvis? I have the older "Guide" sling pack, and while it has served me well, the newest version of the Guide pack seems to be an improvement. More well thought out in regard to pockets and arrangement.

There are a multitude of companies selling packs now. The Umpquas have caught my eye.

PennKev wrote:
tracker12 wrote:

What don't you like about the Orvis? I have the older "Guide" sling pack, and while it has served me well, the newest version of the Guide pack seems to be an improvement. More well thought out in regard to pockets and arrangement.

There are a multitude of companies selling packs now. The Umpquas have caught my eye.

I too like the Orvis Guide Sling Pack but there are a lot of really good choices out there right now.

I suggest, rather than looking at photos of the packs, you take the time to actually try some on to see if they work for what you expect to carry and what features are most important to you.

Try them with the fly boxes you use, water bottle, raincoat, net and whatever else you normally carry.

I get my fishing bags at an Army-Navy store. They last. Only bought three in a life of heavy use. You might find slightly used military ammo bags, etc that are suitable and probably a lot cheaper.

I really love my old Simms Headwater Guide Sling mostly because the strap goes around my waste and not up and across my chest which I find really uncomfortable. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

I find sling packs too bulky and always having to unbuckle and twist to get access to fly boxes etc. a pain.

I prefer the umpqua and fishpond waist packs.

My Orvis is not the guide and is about 10 years old. New style looks better and I will be looking at it along with a few others. I have a couple fish Pond waist packs but they are a little smaller than I like.

I have a Simms, my buddy has an Orvis, my other buddy has an Umpqua, my other buddy has a Patagonia, my other buddy has a Fishpond. When it comes to sling packs, figure out what you need and then see which ones have those options. After that you will get used to the other options on them. I liked the Simms because I can hold a yeti on this inside and keep my rain coat on the outside or inside. Plenty of room for a lot of junk I never use. My Simms is 4 or 5 years old and works well. I am not sure of the model, but they made different sizes and I bought the larger of the two. Sling packs are mainly personal preference.

I have the previous generation Patagonia atom sling and really like it.

Stick with a traditional vest. Once you have owned a good vest you won't ever want anything else. Something that has a padded yoke so it doesn't dig into your neck. Also modern fly boxes are very light. You can easily carry a couple of hundred flies in a vest as well as a packable rain jacket, leaders, tippets, split shot, forceps, nippers, and a sandwich and know exactly where everything is instead of trying to swing a sling around and searching through one or two dividers. The only time I don't use a vest is when I am bonefishing or wading for smallmouth. Then I use a small chest pack.

I’ve tried quite a few and this is by far my favorite.
https://www.umpqua.com/products/packs-and-bags/packs-bags/ambi-sling-zs-sling-pack

Back