Slate Run in PA

zephyr

zephyr

I am making a trip up to Slate run and possible pine since it will be so close to where i am at. However, I enjoy catching wild fish vs. stockies and i know Pine is stocked but has wild fish as well. Anyways,I have never been to slate run before and from what i have researched there is limited access to Slate. Can anyone give me a few good access points to Slate. Also, i am 28 years old and do not mind hiking far to get to remote spots. Thanks.
Zephyr

I would stop in at Slate Run Tackle shop. They are nice folks and would probably put you into some nice stretches. Plus, it's right where Slate Run comes into Pine.

The Slate Run Fly Shop has a detailed topo map for not much money, that shows Slate and Cedar Runs.

And they can show you the access points on Slate Run. There are a fair number of them spaced up along the creek. Probably about 7 or so.

So, you should plan ahead, and go in at one good access point, fish upstream, then come back out the forest road at another good access point, then walk back the forest road to your car.

That way you don't need to bushwack/scramble the steep side slopes, either going in to the stream or coming out.

Also, before you go, just study the layout on online topo maps, such as Acmemapper.com. You can figure out most of the access points from that.

There’s a road along the main stem of Slate for much of its length starting at the mouth, so access from that standpoint isn’t much of an issue. In spots the road grade is well above the stream and you’ll need to hike down in. Just be careful hiking and watch where you step and put your hands climbing down and back out again.

Don't forget to fish the Francis Branch. It has pretty good access and no posted property. Even you don't need to, stop in to the Slate Run Tackle Shop. The shop is a fly fisherman's paradise and Tom and Debbie Finkbiner are some of the nicest people you will meet. They make a great sandwich and the shop will have everything you need.

rattlers are very aggressive right not, 3 bit in a weeks time up here. try hiking down the forest road then fish back upstream to your car. sallies, slate drakes, caddis, are the big hatches right now.

The only thing limiting access to Slate Run is the climb down to the water, the entire drainage is on public land. There are many trails down to the run from just up from Pine Creek, behind the Manor Hotel to a 1/4 mile above that, a couple of places where the Black Forest Trail crosses Slate Run to Morris Run Road and a bunch of other trails.
The climb out is worse then the climb down. They say to watch out for rattlesnakes, I've never seen one there but I've heard many stories. Wherever you plan to go down, make sure you know where you'll be getting out and you'll be fine. Slate Run Road follows the creek to the Manor Fork Crossing, then Francis Rd. follows it to the branches.
A good map will help you plan your trip. 2 that would be helpful are the Tiadaughton State Forest Map and the Tioga State Forest Map. The Tackle Shop should have both, but the DCNR Office near Waterville on Pine creek will have them. Or you can have them send you the maps.

Back