Slate drake pattern?

1hook

I was wondering if any one knew a good slate drake dry fly pattern? I was thinking maybe something with a red quill body...I look at pictures online of bugs and it's confusing because I see different colors of bugs not sure what is the best imitation

I don't know a direct answer to this, but where you fish makes a difference. Bugs can have different colors across different regions, and probably even within the same stream. Pictures on the net can also be a bit confusing because of the differences in cameras and how the picture was taken. This can lead to noticeable differences in color.
Does this matter to the fish? Not sure. Doubt it.

"Does this matter to the fish? Not sure. Doubt it."

Exact color match doesn't seem to be necessary, but I like to be in the ballpark. For ISO's on particular streams, I find that I need three different dun patterns. Not sure why but for some reason the fly that killed them last week receives refusals this week, and the fly that kills them this week won't work next week so the third pattern is needed. Funny game we play.

Jeff

Never let me slide do ya PENZZZ? That was the road i was trying to go down, but my powers of description are lacking.

The easiest and most productive Iso pattern I have found is to tie a comparadun with Al Caucci's Spectrumized dubbing in 'Mahogany Brown' color. The recipe is 8Y, 6R, 5B, 9W, if you blend your own. This is the pattern for the Leadwing Coachman (Slate Drake). This is a great pattern for the Delaware and streams here in central NY and the lower Adacks. I have found it works good on streams where I grew up in Cameron, Elk, Mckean and Potter counties.

E, how are you doing? You know I would never intentionally contradict anything you share on the forum. My post had more to do with how trout view the emerging mayfly during a long-lived hatch like Isonychia - and how they might view it differently over that long hatch period. Hope you’re hooking up!

+1 for the Comparadun when ISO’s are hatching. While it’s not one of my three dun patterns, my buddy from Colorado ties them for when he visits in June, and does well.

Jeff

1hook wrote:
I was wondering if any one knew a good slate drake dry fly pattern? I was thinking maybe something with a red quill body...I look at pictures online of bugs and it's confusing because I see different colors of bugs not sure what is the best imitation

I think red quill may be a little on the bright side for these bugs. If you are going to go the quill route I think stripped peacock hurl is closer to the color. I like a nice mahogany color, basically a medium dark brown with a tinge of redness to it. Don't think it matters that much, just get it close.

What hook does everyone tie their patterns on?

PENZZ-

No harm at all, I don't mind a little bustin' even if its unintentional ;)

For those outside of our little discussion, PENZZ and I have an ongoing dialogue running about bugs and their imitations. A lot of photos shared and discussions on how to match the natural, with fly style and technique. To me this is the real power of sites like these (we are using e-mail but whatever).

And on a side note, if PENZZ gives me a heads up on fly style/color/technique, I'm playing close attention, and probably catching more fish.

J- Yes I'm having a GREAT spring on our home waters, several wild fish recently in the 14" range. Still nymphing, but a few on a black EHC this week.

beerbynes, for the most part I use size 12-2XL. In the fall I use this hook size and also tie some on size 14 standard dry fly hooks.
Jeff

I agree with PENZZZ on hook size. I've been attempting to correlate FLY-RITE colors with the naturals and I have found that #20 Dark Tan is a good color for Isonychia dun. I like to use dark gray Hareline Para Post for the wing and I tie either Comparadun style or parachute using a ginger hackle.

thanks, guys.

Back