Slamming Stockies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I finally got to go out on my first solo fishing trip of the year that was more than just a half hour before work on Sunday. I have been taking my boy with me so it really limits where I can fish or not. I am not a huge fan of hitting up fresh stocked trout anyway these days, and am having more fun watching him learn. Water conditions were great. A little off color, and raining. I had an absolute ball slamming stockies. Yellow beadhead pheasant tail, and grey squirrel nymphs were the ticket. I attached a couple pics of a tubby golden I landed. He took the yellow BHPT.

I ended up somewhere between 25-30 trout from 5:30-8:30. I love fishing in the winter, and early spring to catch hold overs, but every once in a while you need to go out and slam some stockies :) Caught (1) of each species except for a tiger trout.

I did manage to somehow foul hook a 17" Rainbow right by the tail. Thought I had a steelhead on. I couldn't turn him no matter what I tried. It finally came up to the top a bit and I could see he was hooked in the tail. Got him in quickly and released.

Fun way to start a Sunday. Didn't catch any hold overs, or wild fish, but know they are still in there.

Attachments

• goldenr 2.jpg
    goldenr 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8
  • goldenr.jpg
    goldenr.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
Great day on the water! Nice fish

Back