Slack in the line

fishingn00b101

fishingn00b101

I understand this might not be something that can be explained, so much as shown, but I just can't seem to keep the slack out of my line when I'm nymphing/using a wet fly/emerger. For this reason I never seem to have very much luck using a lot of these patterns. I was wondering if anyone on here could help explain how to adjust your line once it's already in the water without alerting the fish. I understand the slack makes the nymph/fly not flow naturally because the water on top/below is moving at different speeds. So I guess if anyone here could help/have resources to help? Although a lot of my online resources that I've tried (including YouTube) don't seem to really help.

I'll admit it's through no fault of the resources, I'm sure, but my own inabilities at this point.

Keep as much fly line off the water as possible, longer leaders help, as well as keeping your rod tip high, and if you must have fly line on the water throw an aerial mend upstream of the point you want the fly to land, its not as hard as it sounds, once the fly line lands on the water and reaches the point of your fly mend it back upstream

my first thought is try keeping the line above (upstream of) the leader. Mending the line and lifting the rod as it gets closer to you. Or you could just use an indicator and keep stripping until you move it.

Here is a good primer on nymphing.

Check out the "dead-drift" and "high-sticking" info and animations.

This video made me think when I watched it:
Joe Humphreys Nymphing Techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dhKgm4dztg

It goes slightly against tradition but it is something I've gone back to over and over, just to remind myself of what is really going on down there.

fishingn00b101 wrote:
I understand this might not be something that can be explained, so much as shown, but I just can't seem to keep the slack out of my line when I'm nymphing/using a wet fly/emerger. For this reason I never seem to have very much luck using a lot of these patterns. I was wondering if anyone on here could help explain how to adjust your line once it's already in the water without alerting the fish. I understand the slack makes the nymph/fly not flow naturally because the water on top/below is moving at different speeds. So I guess if anyone here could help/have resources to help? Although a lot of my online resources that I've tried (including YouTube) don't seem to really help.

It's not slack that is bad.

Drag is bad.

Especially the very common situation of the current bellying your line downstream and "dragging" your nymph through the water at a much higher rate of speed than the current.

One way to combat drag is to use slack. So, be a slacker!

If you do some searches for "upstream reach cast" you should find some explanations. Also search for "mending, nymphing" or "fly line mending" etc.

Back