Skaters

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

Anyone tye and fish them? Suposed to be deadly on Browns?
I tied a few back in the day, but haven't seen them mentioned in years. GG

I've tied and fished some flies that are somewhat close to skaters.

Many years ago as a kid I remember reading about the "Neversink Skater" and being intrigued with the idea. However, I think this rather extreme pattern did not gain a permanent following like some other patterns.

Would be interested to hear what some others think, especially some of the old time dry fly folks.

True skaters can be as big around as 50 cent pieces. Others are smaller. Tied using hackle or spun deer, elk. Neversink skater has a body, Al Troth Skater, just hair, nothing else. Suppose to imitate a butterfly or daddy long legs. Others could include spider style flies with oversized hackle. Simply skate across water. Fly storage for these patterns are important: "not to bend, deform hackles in any way". Good tie would be 2 hackles, one facing each way.

Other flies, the flies we move across water, caddis, steelhead patterns, so on. On these examples we are skating flies. A difference here.

Big fluffy skater patterns at dusk, sometimes will bring a big one up from the deep. you always can experiment with your own creations but way oversized hackle is the key! No need for body, tail etc. There not eye candy but they work.

If you do a web search for "Neversink Skaters" and than click Images, you can see what they look like.

Some years ago at the flyfishing museum in Vermont, they had a video of someone fishing them.

I've tried tying them and fishing them, and it was something kind of fun to play around with. If everything goes right, they do move in an erratic, life-like way that excites the trout.

But they never became part of my fishing routine. It's kind of "fussy" to get them tied right, and to get them to float right. And they are big and air resistant, so are a bear to cast.

But if you've never tried them, go for it, do some experimentation.

BTW, you can get some skating type motion with Stimulators and elk hair caddis. In riffled runs, you can cast across and down, then do some twitching and skating of the fly. The movement often provokes hard strikes.

As I recall? The trick was to face downstream and let out line so the fly would "dance" across the water. Worked best if there was a breeze as it would help elevate the fly when the rod was lifted and make contact when the rod was dropped. Much like a fly laying eggs? GG

Back in the summer of 1976, Marinaro wrote an article describing what the “secret tying method” was for Hewitt’s skater. I recently acquired a copy to see what all the hub-bub was about and was honestly surprised at the tying procedure when I first saw the illustrations.

So the trick to making this fly was tying the first spade hackle at the bend of the hook with un-waxed thread. The hackle is then wrapped 3 times in large open wraps to right behind the eye of the hook, you have to have large gaps of bare hook shank between the wraps - this is important. You then make a few loose wraps to semi-secure the hackle.
Next, you pinch with your thumb and pointer finger behind the eye, and slide with your thumbnail the hackle back toward the bend of the hook. Then, attach one more spade hackle to the front and repeat the process (concave side the opposite way). Once the last hackle is firmly compressed against the other, you’ll have that nice knife-edged looking skater.

I’ve fished them a few times over the years, especially on Penns during Green Drake time and did surprisingly well. A short leader and heavy tippet helped get the fly to turn over a bit easier. Moved and nipped a lot more fish than caught but still a blast fishing these classic Hewitt patterns.

Interesting. It sounds a bit like packing deer hair, except for the open wraps.

Davey Mc Phail, uses u v resin on a needle, just a little, all along the outside edge of the skater. Keeps it together a little better and adds just a touch of stiffness. We think this fly originated in South America, better known in the U. S. toe be a Catskill fly developed by, Hewitt.

Who really knows, just another fly for your arsenal! Remember this, could put a big one in your hands.

Secret to this fly, big hook gap, shorter hook shank! Over dressing sometimes results in too many feather fibers preventing a good hook set! You don't need a lot, a couple big boys, packed in a way not to deform the hackles. Naturally fishing these, especially at night. Stiff butt leader, 7 1/2 footer good in 2x, 1x, 0x.

Why so heavy, not after small trout here. After a big one over 20". Tease the heck out of them. Strikes will be massive. The movement is the key to success. I have often wondered if a trailer hook, lets say a small treble would increase the hook sets. Wondered but never tried.

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:

We think this fly originated in South America, better known in the U. S. toe be a Catskill fly developed by, Hewitt.
Maxima12

Why do you think it originated in South America?

Considering the size of the flies on Penns Creek I'd bet a Skater would get crushed? Maybe the 2020 Jam will be a time?
Back when(60") I tied some I made them white. I should have used them more. Hind site. GG

Troutbert, Think about it! Sit back and take a look at what we have here! Ancient by nature, you would not buy one or use one. As big as a 50 cent piece, as stated! Primitive in every way. Imitate a spider, very likely, spiders that large are found South America. Now, lets take a look at design. Hackle, that's it. Troth and Hewitt are 20th century men. This pattern was developed way before their time. And since no one has claimed it's design, we must think there is no way media, phone, news, publicity is to play. Simple wrap of feathers. Called the Skater by todays call. Was it a "Dapper"? Simply dapping it on water for a fish. Possible? On the right side of Penns, during the Green Drake, possible fish! The old timers put several Drakes on a hook and did just that! With great success, I might add. I never saw it and nobody else will ever see it again! Just a tale between old fishermen. Dapping! The pools for fish!

We are looking to catch a big one here! So the skater in our eyes, primitive as it is, was long ago, the fly for "biggies". Now we must examine Patagonia. Biggies, yes, Look at it this way, in the beginning of fly fishing, no genetic hackle, no dubbing, no fancy exotic patterns.

Just man at his lucky moment in his survival! Africa you may say, to this day, nets and spears! Maybe the next great fly fishing journey!

Maxima12

By all accounts the Skater is believed to be a Catskill tie by Hewitt, Atherton wrote about it but Atherton was always in contact with Hewitt. Another involved was Darbee. Darbee had his influential Salmon Skater! So now, the trifecta was born. Hewitt, Darbee, Atherton. Friends sharing information. The neversink skater was a big as a 50 cent piece, not pictured as it is now, a very smaller version. Detailed accounts of very large trout and very large atlantic salmon were verified as well as landlocked salmon and many other fish! In the "old days", much information was shared and published. The bond that held men together long ago, I feel has evaporated over time. These old timers gave wisdom to all! Normal men sharing to all! Hewitt also was very interested in leaders with dyes developed to dye the gut! Darbee was also interested in natural plant dyes. Guess they must have talked a little.

So with all respect, today, too many secrets and not enough talking! Perhaps someday you will give a little bit back for all that you took!

Maxima12

How about that South American stuff almost believed it myself. If it got you to examine Skaters, principles, pattern, origin. The Patagonia spiders won! If it did nothing, I am sorry.

Maxima12

So with all respect, today, too many secrets and not enough talking! Perhaps someday you will give a little bit back for all that you took!

Maxima12[/quote]
It is just me or do some folks blow off what us olduns say? I've given some info,not here, and never get a thanks. I guess once I passed 70 I got senile and stupid? Sorry for the batching. GG

Hey Gulf, are you past 70? If I would have known that I would have sent you a cane! Or, perhaps a walker with wheels with a horn so no accidents happen!

Guess who?

maxima12 wrote:
How about that South American stuff almost believed it myself.

Maxima12

Based on when Hewitt was active, and when South American fly fishing began, the likelihood is much greater that Hewitt originated the patterns, then at some later date, they began using the pattern in South America.

I saw a presentation by Ed Shenk in the early 1990s, where Ed talked about tying and fishing skaters.

He said that he took some skaters down to Patagonia, and had great fishing for big trout with them there, and the people down there loved the flies, so he tied them and mailed them to friends down there for many years.

I REMEMBER READING ABOUT SKATERS (SPIDERS THEY WERE CALLING THEM BUT THE SAME FLY) IN MAGAZINES IN THE 80'S WHEN I FIRST STARTED REALLY GETTING INTO FLY FISHING.

Back