Sixpenny Creek Info

jeffroey

jeffroey

Hi Forum.

I'm located in Springfield, DELCO and I'm interested in spending more time on Class A & Wilderness streams and a little less time on some of SEPA's stocked streams.

Sixpenny Creek looks like a good place to start - managable distance and plenty of access from French Creek SP. Any tips from anyone who fishes this regularly? Timing-wise, I'll probably take a drive out there early March - according to the commission map, Sixpenny doesn't show as a stocked stream and should be open to fishing in March.

Any other hidden gems is SEPA you're willing to share that will get me off the beaten path (and away from some of the trash-lined trails)?

Thx!

Hi Jeffroey,
Welcome to our online fly fishing (FFing) community - we're glad to have yuh.

We have many wild trout stream enthusiasts around here but many of us are tight lipped about the small, relatively unknown streams that we like to fish. This is especially true in SEPA, where the number of wild trout streams are limited and many of our anglers live (as you know).

Your best bet, to get started on exploring wild trout streams, is the PFBC lists - search "Class A" and "Natural Reproduction." These lists will give you a baseline to begin your exploring.

My personal recommendation, for what it's worth, is that you plan for some drive time - think 1-2 hours north and west from Delco - as this will open up many more opportunities to hunt for wild trout.

Good luck!

Living in SEPA, I thought the same thing when I got into fishing more class A streams for brook trout and wild browns. Sixpenny is a challenging stream to fish. There are thick thorn bushes and briars everywhere. In some locations its like you are in a tunnel of bushes. Downstream of SR 345, it is posted due to the old quarry. Upstream of SR 345 is where I have fished, and yes they are there, but once you get into the thick vegetation its difficult to get out of.

We have had a mild winter so far, so I doubt the vegetation has been adversely affected.

I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Try valley. It’s a tougher stream all wild. Other then that I agree with Dave. Drive and get a little more west. I’m right out side of the city and the past three weeks I’ve been driving out to the Cumberland valley. The fishing is that much better on those limestone streams. Or go north and fish the lackawanna. Also a good guide is the key stone fly fishing book. I highly recommend it if your looking to branch out to new waters.

Appreciate the feedback from all. I'll move away from Sixpenny and broaden my driving radius. Thanks again!

There are plenty of wild trout streams in southern Lancaster and SE York Co’s that are almost exclusively brown trout streams. They are slightly over an hour’s drive to within 1.5 hrs of Media.

Southern York and Lancaster are hardly destination fishing streams for wild trout but if you should decide to drive hours to catch 7" and smaller fish please be respectful of landowners and signage. We have certainly lost plenty of areas due to increased traffic and poor behavior in that part of the state. (See the Codorus post}.

larkmark wrote:
Southern York and Lancaster are hardly destination fishing streams for wild trout but if you should decide to drive hours to catch 7" and smaller fish

You’d be doing the OP a disservice to not mention the robust Black Bear and Timber Rattesnake populations in those areas.

Haha, good try. They’re well worth the drive in comparison to Delaware County.

Having electrofished most of them and looked at the EF data from those that I did not personally sample, the vast majority produce wild brown trout up to 10.5-12 inches long and a few produce a smattering of fish that 13-18 inches long depending on the stream or stream section. And it is not impossible to find an even longer fish on rare occasions. Most of the streams top out at 12 inches or else 15 inches, but the trend would be that there could be no fish or just a few between 12-15 inches in most streams that produce 15 inchers.

You’d be doing the OP a disservice to not mention the robust Black Bear and Timber Rattesnake populations in those areas.

Hey we have black bear now :lol:

Meh-I didn't know how great of a fishery Lancaster County was til I moved to WV! Kanawha County SUCKS for trout.

Great for bass, though. Soon time for that!

Back