Sinnemahoning camping trip

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I decided to drive up to Sinnemahoning S.P. this past week. Somehow, in my past adventures I had always either passed this area to the south or north or east.

All I gotta say is, what a beautiful area. The West Branch Susquehanna looked amazing on the way up, and all branches of the Sinnemahoning are some great looking streams. I spent three days and drove all up and down the mountain roads spotting elk and jumping out of my vehicle to hop from boulder to boulder fishing my way down tiny streams.

I woke up the first morning to an elk bugle followed by a few yips from some coyotes and then some turkeys gobbling. Had a coyote run past my camp at night. I was the only tent camper in the park. Weather was great although it was in the low to mid 30's early in the morning.

Overall, I needed to get the hell out of town and have a few days of solitude to relax and reflect on things, I found great place.

Awesome. Me and the old lady are actually heading up that way next weekend for the same activities, save for our camping will be at a hotel.

Ive been all over PA, but never to that area. Any suggestion on where to view the elk?

Cheers

Benezette is usually a "hot spot" for elk viewing. That is gorgeous country up there. The First Fork of the Sinnemahoning is some nice water. So much fishable water up there it's not even funny.

The elk visitor center - which sits a few miles above Benezette - is a great place to start.
My wife and I visited it last fall. And it was the only place we saw a few of the creatures.
She also enjoyed the gift shops and wineries in the area.
There's even a small place that sells - and lets you sample - different varieties of moonshine!

Yes, I was told to head to benezette, make a right at the gas station and another quick right at the hotel. The Elk Visitor Center ( or whatever it's called ) is only open Thurs thru Mon as I found out. But up the road past the place was a nice viewing area with a great view of the landscape. A radio collared bull snuck right behind me there and wandered into a nearby yard to eat some apples off a tree.

Thanks for the info guys. We are heading up Saturday early morning and plan on starting in Bennezette at the visitor center and making our way from there.

She's a huge fan of wineries, so Im sure we'll end up at one at some point.

She gave me the green light to fish on Sunday for a bit before head back home. Decisions decisions. Seems like there is a handful of class A and B streams in that area. I just need to narrow it down to 1 of em now.

Elk visitors center but if you are actually in the town of sinnemahoning you can view the elk at what they call the horse farm (1 mile towards the renovo side of sinnemahoning) but be careful. It is unlawful to park along the side of the road in most spots and state troopers have been ticketing vehicles.

best bet is the elk viewing center in all cases

I've been going up there for the last ten years or so. Start at the visitors center and just drive around. We spend hours every year just exploring in the car. You never know where you're gonna see elk.

Can anyone give some ideas for fishing around Benezette? I only started fly-fishing relatively recently and haven't explored the area in that regard yet. PM's welcome.

benezette puts you in reach of a ton of native brookie streams.. actually too many to name.. but a good place to start and explore would be medix run, jack dents branch (just above medix) and going towards driftwood would be hicks run.. those are all stocked during the year but hold brookies throughout the fall.

Get the Elk State Forest map (free), then pick streams and try them.

I like going there in September, combining fishing with viewing elk. Often you will see elk when fishing those streams or when driving the forest roads to and from the streams.

And if you don't, you can drive up to Winslow Hill near dusk. There will be a lot of cars and people up there, but you will surely see elk.

We have a state lease camp up the road from the visitor center, been going up there since I could walk.... most of the streams hold brook trout if they aren't polluted from mines.

I'm fortunate that we can drive 5 minutes from our cabin to see elk. One can see them from Kettle Creek State Park to Proctor (which is 1-2 miles upstream from the park). Below is a video of the elk, found the video on You tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaC3Ryv0Wc0

Good stuff.

Medix Run or the upper end of Dents run or Little Dents run seem like good option from my little bit of research

Probably one of my favorite places in Pennsylvania is First Fork. Hard to beat the mountains, water and wildlife.

Saw this elk in June.

Awesome pics. Making me more excited for htis weekend.

Growing up, my old man always talked about the First Fork and Driftwood Branch. Ive never fished them though

Do any of you folks know of any cabins for rent up that way? I'd like to take the wife and dog up there for a long weekend soon. We usually camp, but it's getting a bit cold. Thanks!

Thanks for all the info guys. Between Saturday and Sunday, we counted well over 75 elk in and around Bennezette including 2 nice bulls. And I got into some super nice brookies fishing on Sunday.

Cheers

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I decided to drive up to Sinnemahoning S.P. this past week. Somehow, in my past adventures I had always either passed this area to the south or north or east.

All I gotta say is, what a beautiful area. The West Branch Susquehanna looked amazing on the way up, and all branches of the Sinnemahoning are some great looking streams. I spent three days and drove all up and down the mountain roads spotting elk and jumping out of my vehicle to hop from boulder to boulder fishing my way down tiny streams.

I woke up the first morning to an elk bugle followed by a few yips from some coyotes and then some turkeys gobbling. Had a coyote run past my camp at night. I was the only tent camper in the park. Weather was great although it was in the low to mid 30's early in the morning.

Overall, I needed to get the hell out of town and have a few days of solitude to relax and reflect on things, I found great place.

Sounds like my kind of trip. It sure is beautiful up there. The mountains and water and of course the elk- love it. One question though: grouse, man, did you see any grouse?

The wife and I took ride up to Benezette yesterday. I didn't fish. But the elk viewing was quite good. We saw large groups of them in 4 different places. But nothing right at the visitor center.
It was a beautiful day to be out

Back