Sinking Lines

kobalt335

kobalt335

There is a ton of things to read about sinking lines and sinking tips, and it all is a little overwhelming. I'm looking for a line that I can use for trout and smallmouth streamers in creeks and rivers. I would assume that a sinking tip would be the best tool, but I have also seen those versileaders. Are they worth looking into? Also, would a sinking tip line be useful in throwing streamers at a lake shoreline for largemouth? There are so many options out there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have a ton of experience with a variety of lines, but a several of years ago I wanted to experiment with a full sinking line (7 wt) for fishing deep holes in the Delaware River. It didn't real work out as I'd hoped and I aborted the plan after fishing it pretty hard for month or so.
I ended up cutting a section of about 12 feet and affixing braided loops to either end. Now I have a sinking tip that plunges pretty deep and when attached to a floating line sort of behaves like an intermediate.

All that to say... you probably want to look at sinking tips and not a full sinking line.

Full sinking lines are best for streamer fishing. You cast the line out and the weight of the line causes the fly to sink. You strip all the line in before you try to cast again. Full sinking lines are not the best for nymph or wet fly fishing because the line can't be mended easily because the weight of the line and the fact that all the line out of the rod tip will sink under the surface of the water. That's where sink tip lines come into play. Only the tip of the line is weighted to sink. The rest of the line is built like a standard floating fly line. The floating part of the line can be mended reasonably well and makes it easier to pick the line off the water and cast again.

So would a 12ft rio versileader with a sink rate of 7ips be effective for streamers in creeks and lake shores?

kobalt335 wrote:
So would a 12ft rio versileader with a sink rate of 7ips be effective for streamers in creeks and lake shores?

Yes

I like sink tips with floating part behind for rivers where you want to mend. Too hard to mend with full sinking.

+1 on sink tip floating line. My buddy got a 50' sinking tip which was a nightmare to use. I opted for floating line with a density compensated sinking tip. This means the tip of the sinking line sinks at the same rate as it does 3' or 12' from the tip. It also allowed you to cut the sinking portion to customize it to your uses. I believe I got 2 lines (7ips and 4ips sink rates) with a 15' sink tip. I let the 4 ips line alone and trimmed the faster sinking line back to 11' or so.

The versi-leader is an excellent option. Get a good floating line you can use for fishing poppers or weighted streamers. Remember that stripping a weighted fly on a floating line will give you more of an up-n-down / jigging type of retrieve. This can be very effective on bass or in still water. Picking up some versi-leaders in different lengths and sink rates gives you the best of both worlds. Grab 5' and 10' foot tips in both 3 ips sink rate and in a 7 ips sink rate. You can even add a tippet ring to the end making your rigging up a breeze. Rio and Air-Flo make the products.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to pick up some versileaders and got that route, rather than buy a sink tip line. For all the more I think I'll use a sink tip, I think this is going to be the most efficient buy for me.

Back