Sinking flies

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hey everyone,
I’m looking for some help or advice with my flies. I’m self taught and always tied mostly nymphs, midges and soft hackles and purchased my dries from a local shop because I’ve never been confident in my dry tying skills. Given the extra time I have now I’ve been attempting to change that.
Admittedly I’m far from a great fly tier but I’m working to improve. I’ve been focusing on parachutes but I’ve found that when I thrown them in a bowl of water to test them they sink more readily than the ones I buy in the shops.
I’m using a TMC 100 hook, mostly superfine dubbing (although I experiment with others) and either poly parachute material, EP trigger point and even foam for the posts and Whiting hackle. I understand that treating them with floatant will help but as I mentioned the just don’t seem to stay on the surface like the ones I buy. I feel like I’m doing something wrong or can improve this. Everyone here is always so helpful, informative and willing to lend advice and I appreciate that and the resource here. Thanks you. Stay healthy !

What floats a dry fly is surface tension. Are the tails of your fly stiff rooster hackle vs hen and likewise your parachute hackle should be rooster with stiff barbules and little webbing.

Is your parachute roughly parallel to hook shank and centered on front 1/3 of hook. Your fly may be out of proportion or out of balance.

Unless you are really putting alot of material on fly and using an extraordinary amount of wraps. It should float. Even then if your hackles are stiff, you should get a good float.

When you test your fly drop it in a bowl of water, do not place it with your fingers.

Check it out and get back to us

Post a picture of one it may help diagnose problem

Generally need at least 5 turns of hackle on a parachute. Place each wrap underneath the one above it. Can't reduce turns on a parachute IMHO.

Back