Sink tips that you add to floating line.

S

somersetian

Anyone use them? I really love fishing streamers, a lot of times early season and winter I fish streamers just like dredging a nymph. Only difference is I hate adding weight to streamers. I feel like it really hinders any sort of natural motion they might have on a dead drift. Obvious choice would be to have a spare spool with sink tip line on it, but that's a lot more money. Something I can't ever seem to have enough of to go full in on anything. I'm think a 5' slow sink tip would be awesome if these things actually work.

Feather Craft makes a sinking furled leader that looks interesting in two different sink rates but I have not tried them yet.
I may get one or two. I will post if I use them with a performance report.

You can get a Rio versi-leader for $8-$12. They come in several versions. The one I pulled out of my vest is 7', 12#, 7.0 ips which is a good one for lightly weighted streamers. I used them a couple of times ans they work nicely. Gave in this spring and went to a fully dedicated streamer rig.

I've used the orvis sinking leaders and they work well for the price. They are a good alternative to the cost of buying a spare spool or an entire new line. I carry mine in my backpacking fly box as a lightweight way to have the ability to fish a little deeper.

krayfish2 wrote:
You can get a Rio versi-leader for $8-$12. They come in several versions. The one I pulled out of my vest is 7', 12#, 7.0 ips which is a good one for lightly weighted streamers. I used them a couple of times ans they work nicely. Gave in this spring and went to a fully dedicated streamer rig.

icyguides wrote:
I've used the orvis sinking leaders and they work well for the price. They are a good alternative to the cost of buying a spare spool or an entire new line. I carry mine in my backpacking fly box as a lightweight way to have the ability to fish a little deeper.[/quote

Both of these ^

The poly leaders can be slightly awkward when trying to make a long cast, but thats really my only complaint. I like em.

I only have experience with built in sink tips(as well as full sink) but I've been itching to try those sinking leaders for a while now. Those as well as the extra sink tips you can buy are definitely good options without having to buy another line, but I've heard they aren't too pleasant to cast as jay348 mentioned.

Could always go the split shot route as well but they can be a pain....

Sink tip line and poly leader. My steelhead and Ontario browns setup. Check Cabelas for leaders. GG

With loop to loop connections, sink tips are easy/fast to add to floating fly line. They work well. Casting with them is not bad considering casting a streamer by itself is not typically a fluid/smooth cast anyway.

I just use length of Vanish

No experience with them (but noted by others above), I just happened to stumble upon some of these on Sierra Trading Post the other night.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-leaders/versileader/trout-versileader/

Use them regularly. Everything from polyleaders to looped sink tips in lengths from 5' to 10'. You can buy tips with loop-to-loop ends already welded in, or just buy a length of T-10 or T-8 and whip your own loops on.

I tried that with a 15' of T-14. It was too much for the rod I was using as it attempted to feed me the fly every time I'd pick it off the water. LOL. Also, T-14 was too much. I tried it in the middle Yough at 1200 cfs and was instantly snagged on the bottom every other cast.

I don't use them for stream fishing unless I fishing a big brawling river that is up and deep. Usually my streamers sink on their own, I weight my streamers according to where I use them. I do use weight tips on lakes though, I've used Orvis and a couple of others. They work fine.

krayfish2 wrote:
I tried that with a 15' of T-14. It was too much for the rod I was using as it attempted to feed me the fly every time I'd pick it off the water. LOL. Also, T-14 was too much. I tried it in the middle Yough at 1200 cfs and was instantly snagged on the bottom every other cast.

Yep, I'm guessing 15' of T-14 would be just a weeeensy bit much for your average trout rod. ;)

i use a light skagit MOW tip - 5ft of float, 5ft of t-8. casts okay on 7wt.

or just to freak people out, i use a DC line with a floating fly.

Thanks I'm looking at the ones with loops already welded so I can just switch it out.

somersetian
I have some Orvis sink tips that you add to your line ,if I can find them ,you can have them

somersetian
So far I have not been able to find them ,I don't remember if I gave them away before ,or what I did with them ,I will continue to look

Back