Sink tip casting

B

Bdot0898

I just got an extra spool for my reel loaded with a 10ft. Class IV sink tip. My question is do I have to change my casting habits, and is it more difficult to roll cast with the sink tip on? also how long should my leader be? I got a 7.5' 4x tapered leader for it, but I'm not sure if I should keep it shorter to minimize the fly floating higher than the line. Just don't want to break my rod casting the wrong way with the extra weight in the water.

IMO: if you strip line in the tip should rise in the water and should roll cast more easily.Also you can roll cast then do a regular cast more easily as the tip will get near the surface. As far as the leader length it depends on how close to the bottom your trying to get. Personally I have several sink tip (4ft) lines and use sinking leaders on them whick I keep around 5 ft. in length.Just my thoughts on the subject. GG

I was suggested to roll cast to straight it out, then pick up for the back cast.

Be warned, the chances of a fly to the face goes up dramatically when you start throwing sinking lines. Same to the back of the head, but its way more frighting to watch a pair of lead eyes coming right at you.

I use sink tips or sinking poly/versileaders when I fish the river (Allegheny) below the locks. The water is really turbulent and the currents are strong so the tips get me down quicker.

They do cast a bit differently. I like to roll cast the line back to the surface before I try to overhead cast. Sometimes I strip my fly back towards me and just lift and start overhead casting.

As far as leaders go, I think that the longer the leader, the less effective the sink tip will be...as you stated, the fly will ride higher than the sinker. I usually just use about 4' of maxima, fluoro, mono, whatever. I guess it also depends on what type of water youre fishing, and what fishes youre going after.

And do pay attention to your casts with the sink tip...Ive come VERY close to wearing a clouser minnow home. I even recommend wearing glasses.

learn to single spey cast...

... make sure you have at least some weight near the fly.

stevehalupka wrote:
learn to single spey cast...

... make sure you have at least some weight near the fly.

I actually will use a "C" spey or a Double spey cast with a single hand rod when the situation is right. It isn't always pretty but it transfers casting energy very well to the end of the tip...which is why I try to keep the leader short.

I stay away from the Single spey cast because it seems to be much more timing sensitive and seems to work better as a "touch and go" cast as opposed to a water loaded cast with a sink tip...for me anyway.

double spey is best for me when river is flowing down to left. Pull line up, make d-loop.. perfect transference. In the opposite situation, a simple snap-t... dry fly I use a form of the snake roll.

stevehalupka wrote:
In the opposite situation, a simple snap-t... dry fly I use a form of the snake roll.
Exactly. I use a C spey instead of a Snap T because I've smacked my rod tip a couple times with lead eyes or a tung head. It just gives me a little more clearance.

Back