Sink tip and leader

C

Cb1572

Everyone,

I have question for everyone. Over the winter months, I started trying out a sink tip line with minimal success with larger streams. What do people utilize regarding leader and their setup when fishing sink tips. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Generally a short tippet (3-4') works best with a sink tip to keep your fly deep. Streamers fish well with a sink tip, but on most trout streams (moving water) I usually try to fish with floating line an weighted flies or split shot.

Also, don't forget, winter fishing is tough. You're "luck" may change when the water warms. Good luck.

When you say short leader is that one 4 ft piece of leader say 1/2 the diameter of your fly line or 2-3 sections tapered to 1 or 2x for streamers? Thanks,

Pitt

I have/had (damn braided loop connector!!) a couple RIO ones and I eneded up cutting the mono off the end of the leader and making a small perfection loop out of the leader itself....from there just loop 3-4' of 2x, 3x....whatever. Remeber that a short leader will keep the fly down as oppOsed to a longer one which will make it rise. This is pretty raw/heavy slingin fishin....

jeff

Back