Sink rate for a sinking line?

B

boychick

Every spring and summer I do some stillwater fishing for large mouth bass. After the spawn, the bass move deep and it's hard to get down to the fish with a floating line and a weaighted fly. I've tried a sink tip, but it hinges where the tip and flaoting line meet. I was thinking about buying a sinking line and Orvis has them on sale. The question is what sink rate? The specs for the three lines available are below. Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!

•WF class II (fly line weights 3-8), medium green.
Class II Sink Rate: 1¾" to 2¾"/second
•WF class III (fly line weights 6-9), dark green.
Class III Sink Rate: 3½" to 4½"/second
•WF class V (fly line weights 7-12), dark gray.
Class V Sink Rate: 5½" to 6½"/second

How deep are you going and what type flies will you use?
Are you fishing from a boat or wade fishing?
Sinking lines can be sink tip,sink head,sink bodies or full sinking.
Very complex subject-why most dry fly.
Try googling up using sinking lines for fly fishing.

thanks Pete. I was hoping it was a simple question. I would say most bass I'll do is on foot in farm ponds with a max depth between 15'-20'.

cl 2 or 3 depending on how fast you strip-suggest one of the shooting heads with floating running line-you will find it easy to work with.

You're probably looking at a Class III full sinking line. Fishing in 5-10' of water is doable with a full-sink line, after that depth you'll have to count down for quite a while to reach 15 - 20'.

I agree with Pete though, consider a sinking shooting head with floating running line. It's much easier to cast and manage your line. A full sink works best (IMO) when fishing from a boat.

pete41 wrote:
...one of the shooting heads with floating running line-you will find it easy to work with.

don't think this is a good option for anything over 5-10'
the hindge of the floater will be pulling your fly up on each strip

look at a sink line with an INT running line
the sink will help the int dig in and allow you to get down and stay down on the strip

Best bet--- a full sink line

Effectivly fishing 20' for a long distance is not an easy task

with 100' line full sink from a boat
make an 80' cast
dump 15-20' out of the tip of the rod in a pile
count to 30
dunk the rod
strip

Thanks for the info guys.

Back