Sink or float, IRI

hunter1

hunter1

I'll be at Indian river Delaware during Easter vacation for a few days. I bring my 9 wt fly rod to fish the jetty and the pocket. I need the casting practice with this gear regardless catching fish or not. Should I use a intermeadiat sinking line or a floating line.Been a while since I fished the inlet. Thank's all.

A floater would work unless there is wave action.

The IM Sinking would be my choice in waves or water over 3' deep, it's also thinner for a given weight making it cut though the wind better.

Mark C

A floater would work unless there is wave action.

The IM Sinking would be my choice in waves or water over 3' deep, it's also thinner for a given weight making it cut though the wind better.

Mark C

Thanks MarkC.I'll start with the IM.

I have fished there a number of times with a fly rod, and offer the following experiences.

If you are on the jetties fishing towards the surf on either side, an intermediate line is the ticket. You may get pods of bluefish (stripers will probably be gone by June) chasing bait into the pockets created where the jetty meets the beach.

I would expect fishing the inlet on the inside to be more productive; particularly the south side towards the townhouses. There I have used an integrated sinking line weighing between 300 and 450 grains with a short leader (3-4 feet of 15-20 lb mono) and a clouser of some type. That area can hold sea trout, smaller stripers, hickory shad, and flounder (I have caught many flounder there on fly). Cast up-current, let it sink and count it down, and then let it swing. Vary the count and the retrieve speed until something works.

Thank's all. I went one day, Caught two dinks in the pocket. But it fealt great.

Back