Simple tip for "buggier" nymphs

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Two words: Dubbing Loops

Been refilling my nymph boxes, and would like to state that nothing makes a buggier thorax than a dubbing loop. I tie almost everything with dubbing loops now, HE's, Czech nymphs, Polish nymphs, stoneflies...so if you've never tried dubbing loops, give it a go...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the outcome, I know I was.

Also, if you've never tried Hareline Dubbin's Hare'e Wiggle Dub, I'd give that a try, too, I've been using it for two years now and I love the stuff.

Agreed. Dubbing loops are great.

+ 2 on the loop and it's effects on flies. I like to use a thread that can be split, you don't get the build up of the double thread. Nice on smaller flies and really more convenient as well on any size fly.

Try using the touch dub technique. It is a bit simpler than a dubbing loop and is just as effective at getting a buggy nymph. The only time I use actual loops is for cress bugs.

Chooch wrote:
Try using the touch dub technique. It is a bit simpler than a dubbing loop and is just as effective at getting a buggy nymph. The only time I use actual loops is for cress bugs.

I've tried everything, and for me at least nothing looks quite as nice as a dubbing loop :)

Also, touch dubbing doesn't work too well with the aforementioned Wiggle Dub.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
Chooch wrote:

I've tried everything, and for me at least nothing looks quite as nice as a dubbing loop :)

Also, touch dubbing doesn't work too well with the aforementioned Wiggle Dub.

Whatever works for you - no right or wrong.

I like the touch dubbing technique for most nymphs. I favor using mostly natural furs, sometimes mixed with synthetic dubbing to achieve a color and/or add some flash. I like the guard hairs in natural dubbing to replicate the gills on nymphs. Touch dubbing makes tying a loosely dubbed, spiky body a snap.

I often choose to use a dubbing loop for dries, which imitate the insects stages without gills (dun and spinners). In this case I often use synthetic dubbing which does not contain guard hairs. I wind the dubbing noodle very tight in a dubbing loop and often taper it to achieve a taper on the fly body. Also the tight dubbing noodle achieved with a dubbing loop gives the appearance of segmentation to the fly body without using ribbing.

All good.

I've recently fallen in love with some natural hares ear dubbing I picked up. Nasty guard hairs make any nymph look buggy.

What is the touch dubbing method?

boychick wrote:
What is the touch dubbing method?

Wax thread liberally. "Touch" your dubbing to the thread rather than twisting it on. The wax should enable the dubbing to stick to the thread. After you've applied dubbing to an appropriate length of thread spin your bobbin clockwise. The thread should grab the dubbing as it spins forming a dubbing brush.

When done properly you end up with a loose and spiky length of dubbing.

Best hare's ear dubbing out there - Chesapeake Bay Retriever hair. Hands down! :-D

Back