Simple technique for nymphing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Very easy way to fish wets or nymph without an indicator.

This is the way I started fly-fishing when I was very young and I caught tons of fish as a neophyte. It's just like bait fishing, but with a fly.

I still use this simple technique to catch fish to this day.

No need to always use a bobber as your binky.....:p

Me too. I learned to fish nymphs that way, because when I started strike indicators didn't exist. And I still fish nymphs this way.

And as the guy said, it is very simple.

I've shown people how to fish nymphs that way, and they picked it up in just a few minutes.

Just a few points to add:

In the video he describes it as a way to fish downstream. But you can fish this way when moving upstream or down. Most of the time, I'm fishing upstream.

Also, what he showed is the simplest, most basic way, fishing a pretty short line. Once you get that figured out. then you can start to pull a little more line out, to get longer drifts, and to fish water a little further away from you.

In some places you can just wade out there. But there are many places where it's too deep and swift to wade out there.

Once you get more line out, then you get more drag, so you develop ways to deal with that. The upstream reach cast is one of the best ways. And various mends.

Troutbert, that's my approach upstream. Deadly! GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Troutbert, that's my approach upstream. Deadly! GG

Yeah, it actually makes sense to fish upstream most of the time.

Casting upstream and mending creates a dead-drift over the fish with their first look at the fly.

If you wade downstream the fish see your fly presented on the swing first.

One of the great parts of the method is being able to cover a lot of water and with different presentations; dead-drift as well as swinging your fly. Also it pays to let it hang in the current at the end of the swing and even strip it a few times before recasting.

And on the swing strike detection or hook setting for a beginner is not an issue since the fish often yanks the rod out of your hands on the swing. :-o

I find the video and the above comments to be particularly interesting. When I was first instructed on fishing nymphs thats pretty much what I was taught. I also prefer to fish nymphs upstream. At times I will also have a wet fly for a dropper. It is interesting to hear others approach to nymph fishing.
Back quit a few years ago, my brother fished with an older gentleman on Penns quite often. The older gentleman fished a sort of wet fly tied only of chipmunk fur and hair hackle. He caught lots of trout using that fly fishing it sort of like a nymph and letting it swing in the current.

Back