Simms Rip Rap Felt Wading Shoe Review

S

Sylvaneous

I've been stymied by what I find as insufficient wet wading gear. I know people use standard wading boots with neoprene socks. I know that many fishermen in the Missoula area fish this way. (In fact, some guys fish MORE this way than in waders over the year. ) I find this bulky and hot when my feet are not immersed in water. I'd save that for only the most aggressive wet wading. Plus, its summer; light clothing weather. I use sandals some times when I'm not too worried about stubbing my toes, especially when I'm floating and wading.
Over the years, I can seriously estimate that I've spent nearly a thousand dollars on wet wading footgear with usually mediocre results at best. In fact, only 2 passed muster; a pair of Teva shoes with Aqua Stealth and an Orvis pair.

This year, Simms got it right. I give the Rip Rap Felt Sole 4/5, and as good as anything I've tried, so long as they hold up.
Most wet wading foot gear fail with the soles. The felts here are in-set so they don't wear around the edges and they don't protrude and become a tripping hazard. Being felt, they grip great and the surrounding rubber material isn't a slippery liability. The panels in the upper of the shoe are very 'meshy'. They are a 3-dimensional mesh material; a larger hexagonal mesh sandwiched between two layers of fine mesh material. I have slightly narrow feet (like C instead of D) and can take a 10 or a 9 1/2. I got the 9 1/2 Rip Rap and it fits perfectly, even after wading a bit, so they don't stretch out. The tops of the shoe fit snugly, preventing intrusion by fine gravel. The laces are elastic with a catch and a clip to attach excess lace to the bottom of the laces so not to tangle fly line. I haven't been a fan of this style of lace, but with the good fit and grippy bottoms, the laces don't have to do much work to hold your foot.

The only issue I have is the rather high profile of the sole of the shoe. The shoe has Simms' "Right Angle" foot bed. It is very thick. The sole itself is thick already. These 2 factors put your heel pretty high above the surface. I didn't turn my ankle while wading, but would rather have a lower shoe.

The shoes drain well and are well ventilated around the fore-foot. I have used these shoes on a wade/float trip and I didn't feel my feet getting swampy or stanky. Comfort-wise, the Rip Rap is a decent substitute for sandals.

To date, the newest version of the Simms Rip Rap Felt wading shoe is the best wet wading shoe I've tried. And generally, being just 4 weeks out from a total hip replacement, I feel confident wading in these shoes.

Syl

They're a good wet wading shoe. I'm on my 2nd pair, and I've gotten about two years out of each pair, which is pretty good considering the beating the Susky, Little J, and our other rocky streams can inflict on footwear. The mesh does rip sometimes if you go through some really rough water, but the tears don't seem to spread around the whole upper part of the shoe. Also with my second pair, some of the sole is coming off in small chunks, but again, they've been better than other shoes I've tried.

The layers of the soles started peeling apart at the toes on mine after less than 10 days of use. Aquaseal fixed the problem and the repair is almost unnoticeable... ....but still.
I do like the design, they are comfortable, and the sole accepts studs much better than previous similar Simms shoes. Most importsntly the felt option is a huge aid in traction. However, I'm not sure what to expect anymore in terms of quality from a Simms product under $300.

I'm on my 2nd pair of the old-style RipRaps, and I can't say enough good things about them. My first pair lasted 3+ years of heavy use mostly wet-wading the upper mainstem of the Delaware. These are just the rubber soled version (don't believe they had a felt version in the old riprap). I'm into my 2nd season on my new pair, and they are holding up well. the only negative that I can say is that the older pair had a removable foot bed, while the newer pair does not. The removable foot bed made it easier to dry out the entire shoe and avoid stinkfoot.

I'm bummed that they completely redesigned the shoe ~ the new style has a much bulkier sole that I'm not a fan of. Good to hear that you like the new ones because I'll be in a pair soon enough!

pratt wrote:
I'm bummed that they completely redesigned the shoe ~ the new style has a much bulkier sole that I'm not a fan of. Good to hear that you like the new ones because I'll be in a pair soon enough!

The bulkier style is actually a big improvement, IMO. There is much more padding to protect your foot when wading in waters where the bottom is comprised primarily of cobble of varying sizes. The need to brace your feet against the rocks in awkward positions is guaranteed in that sort of environment and the old style of Simms shoes left my feet aching after a couple days of wading. The newer ones are much better in that regard.

Have been using the old style Riprap shoes for about the last five years. Fish 100-130 days a season, except for about a month and a half when the water gets too cold, with the Riprap. Do a lot of walking while fishing. Shoes wear well. Have never had a problem with the soles. Briars and blackberry canes can do a number on the synthetic uppers. The elastic laces eventually break but can easily be replaced by the right diameter regular laces or just use the remaining pieces as they are a little long. Get around a season's use per pair, well worth the $90 or so spent. Have a pair of the new ones but will have to wait until next season to try them, October 1 here.

Back