Simms Guide Boots Product Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Penn's Creek Green Drakes are awesome. I was fishing a size 6 imitation and it was noticably smaller than the naturals. Thank-goodness the fish didn't mind...

Last edited:
B
Yeah, the green drakes on Penn's are huge. So large infact that it is hard to find a fly that is the big enough. Penns creek angler (off of Rt. 45) had good sized flies when i stopped in on Tuesday. I"m anxiously awaiting the drakes to start popping off. I just hope that we don't get any more; the creek is already high.

Last edited:
DaveKile
simmsguideboots.jpg
My old felt wading boots of six years were getting a little long in the tooth this past winter. With Maryland and other states banning felt soled boots it seemed like a good opportunity for some new boots.

I picked up the Simms Guide Boot at the Fly Fishing Show at Somerset from TCO Flyshop. I have had plenty of time in these boots over while in the past few months.

The Vibram rubber soled StreamTread with HardBite Star Cleats are awesome! I was really worried this combo could not stack up to my old felts and studs, but not so. I could get around easily even during the high waters this spring on the Little J and First Fork.

The leather construction is very solid. Simms put a lot of time into the design of the support and you can really feel the difference. The Simms Guide Boots are easy to put on and feel great even have been in them for all day.

I really like the speed lacing design and quality of the of the laces. Seems small, but my old boots the laces always seemed to come undone.

Really unmatched quality in the construction and comfort these wading boots provide.

Net Net: Awesome boots, worth the investment and get the HardBite Star Cleats.

plombardo
does the leather dry and shrink. I had the old leather guides. you would have to wet them to get into them.

Last edited:
plombardo
does the leather dry and shrink. I had the old leather guides. you would have to wet them to get into them.

Last edited:
plombardo

Last edited:
krayfish
I got mine before they offered the rubber soles and they are a serious boot. Very comfy and great support. Not a cheap boot but worth the investment.

plombardo,
They shrink up a little but I got mine a size big and wear a heavy wool sock over the wader bootie. Wetting them first never hurts.

Last edited:
krayfish
I got mine before they offered the rubber soles and they are a serious boot. Very comfy and great support. Not a cheap boot but worth the investment.

plombardo,
They shrink up a little but I got mine a size big and wear a heavy wool sock over the wader bootie. Wetting them first never hurts.

Last edited:
krayfish

plombardo,

Last edited:
B
ive looked at the simms boots and have simms waders but i went with korkers and this is my second year with them and i love them you can change soles and they have the boa lacing system witch is no laces.

Last edited:
B
ive looked at the simms boots and have simms waders but i went with korkers and this is my second year with them and i love them you can change soles and they have the boa lacing system witch is no laces.

Last edited:
B

Last edited:
DaveKile
A lot of good choices out there.

The leather did shrink up just a little, but like Krayfish said I got mine bigger and I use wool socks as well.

Last edited:
DaveKile

The leather did shrink up just a little, but like Krayfish said I got mine bigger and I use wool socks as well.

Last edited:
DaveKile

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
I have had my Guide Boots for over three years. They are great. Very comfortable even after a long day of flyfishing. I will buy another when these wear out. You get what you pay for!

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
I have had my Guide Boots for over three years. They are great. Very comfortable even after a long day of flyfishing. I will buy another when these wear out. You get what you pay for!

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout

Last edited:
salmonoid
Not that wading boots are meant to be backpacking boots, but several times a year, I combine the two and have had a mixed bag of success and failures with wearing wading boots on the way back to the vehicle. One year, I had a pair of Korkers, that killed the soles of my feet, because they had little arch support; last year, I added a pair of arch support soles and they worked like a champ. This year, the Korkers are shot, and I went to the Cabelas Ultralight wading boots that had been my backup pair. BAD choice - no ankle support, a shade too small and my feet were killing me by the end of each day, pack or no pack.

So, if you were hiking instead of fishing, and carrying a 40 pound pack, would you pick the Simms Guide boots?

Last edited:
salmonoid
Not that wading boots are meant to be backpacking boots, but several times a year, I combine the two and have had a mixed bag of success and failures with wearing wading boots on the way back to the vehicle. One year, I had a pair of Korkers, that killed the soles of my feet, because they had little arch support; last year, I added a pair of arch support soles and they worked like a champ. This year, the Korkers are shot, and I went to the Cabelas Ultralight wading boots that had been my backup pair. BAD choice - no ankle support, a shade too small and my feet were killing me by the end of each day, pack or no pack.

So, if you were hiking instead of fishing, and carrying a 40 pound pack, would you pick the Simms Guide boots?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back