Simms G4 Pro Waders

F

fisherboy3

Does anyone have these waders? Im looking into getting a new pair of waders since im not pleased with my few orvis waders. Ive heard good things about these. (Please dont tell me why you wouldnt buy them and how much of a waste of $ they are). I want a pair of waders that will last. Anythings appreciated.- Kev

Well - it's a good time to buy them.
Apparantly, simms is redesigning them for next year. And many places are selling them on clearance specials

I have the G4's and they have held up extremely well. I've even had a fly stuck in them without any leaks. I have 2 pair. One bootfoots and one stockers. A new pair of G4's arrived yesterday and I have yet to open them up to see what all of the differences are between the new ones and the old ones.

I've fished in Simms waders for years and swear by them. I just purchased my first pair of G4's because Red Truck had them on closeout and I couldn't pass up the pricing. I'd had my eyes on them for my winter early spring fishing for a few years but just had not pulled the trigger in the past due to the high price tag.

Initial impressions are that they're going to be just as bulletproof as my G3's if not more so because of the extra layers in the seat/crotch area. I like the big pocket more than the G3's because it has more room. I don't like the handwarmer pocket as much, although it zippers on the G4's, on the G3's it is lined better. I've clipped zingers on my G3's through the fabric on the pocket that I don't have to do on the G4's because it has two places built in to attach them - a big plus IMO. I also like the tippet tender flip out pouch, which is the same as the G3's. The fly patch is also a nice touch, because I use one exclusively while on the water and now I don't have to attach it to the velcro on the tippet tender pouch but right on the front of the wader. I think the G3's are more comfortable, but that is most certainly due to the fact that the 5 layers of Gortex don't extend through the seat, which is what I wanted on the G4's.

I've my original pair of G3's that I bought 4 1/2 years ago that have been fished HARD. That pair had a problem with one of the booties that Simms fixed by replacing both of the booties (tape was separating on the seam). I purchased another pair to wear while those were being repaired and they're excellent. No issues with the tape on those booties after a year of use. Now I alternate them when on long trips to keep down mildew and prolong the life of them. The original pair is showing it's age, but still keeps me as dry as the work day is long.

You didn't ask for a comparison vs. the G3's but since most of my experience has been with the G3 and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the wader, I figured I'd just compare the G4 to the G3 and simply say that it's better in many ways but not a necessary upgrade from the best bang for the buck wader on the market - the G3. Having worn both, I don't think I would pay an extra $150 for the G4, but I'm very happy I have them and paid G3 pricing for them. I hear the pricing on the new G4 is going to approach $700 because the material is going to be more comfortable. I can see where that would be nice because of my comment above regarding the 5 layers vs. 3 layers in the seat - but $700 - yowza - that's awfully rich man.

I agree with Conman, you may want to consider a pair of G3s and save some money. I've had a pair of G3s for 4 years of heavy use and they still have some life left in them. The only problem I had was due to me being a bone head, not the quality of the waders. I rushed down the bank and slipped in the mud, I fell on some rocks and tore a hole in the knee. This hole would have destroyed most waders. I sent them into simms and had them patched, they have been water tight for 3 years since. I have been very, very happy with the G3s and recommend them highly.

I have made the decision to buy G3 twice over G4. Having said that, G4 pricing is currently about the same as G3, so it's hard to not buy the "better" wader.

Sounds like they're a god pair of waders. Ever since i started fly fishing and have gotten a lot better, for some reason my buddies have turned me into a simms junkie lol. Im the kind of fisherman who always puts the waders down around my waist so im not really sure if the g4 would be good. Would the g3's be better for that?

I just had a chance to buy a pair of G4Z's at 30% off - and did it.
Having bought one other pair of simms waders - 12 years ago - I had some problems with them, and didn't think that their customer service was very good.
But - that was then.
I know quite a few of you guys swear by them now.
So, I'm going to give them another try.
It would be nice to have good waders that I can use for at least a couple of years with no leaks

Depending on what size you need, Madison River Fishing Co. has G4 Pros on sale. Also Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders are on sale.

Back