Simms G3 waders?

BrookieChaser

BrookieChaser

Simple question - In your opinion (those that own them) are the Simms G3 waders worth the full retail price?

I had a pair of Simms G3's on order (last year's model) and was informed today that it was an inventory error and the waders weren't available. When things seem too good to be true...

I'm honestly thinking of getting cheap waders every year and forgetting the Simms marketing (my normal strategy... and why I poured a gallon of water from my left side foot after each of the last two trips to the stream). From the looks of the more recent reviews, I doubt the Simms will reach the 5 year mark without either a repair bill or replacement.

undoubtedly yes. on my second pair and can never look back.

Thanks. I'm extremely cheap, but don't mind paying for quality. When I do pay for quality, I expect quality... as I'm sure everyone else does.

I found the G3 convertibles at a decent discount ($150 cheaper than the new G3's) but I can't convince myself that the convertible part isn't unwanted seams to leak in the future.

YES! I just ordered my second pair. I got 5 good years of tough use out of the first pair. A bit of advice to get the most out of Simms waders; take advantage of their 1 year warranty. Send the waders in towards the end of the first year and they will give them a once over and repair any pin hole or other damage for free.

You can't be any cheaper than I am. My first pair are 6 yrs old and still kicking. Got a 2nd pair over the winter. By far the best wader I've ever owned.

I just sent my G3 Muck bootfoots into the cobbler for their 3rd resole. They are about 5 years old and I've had no issues with them. I put a lot of miles on those treads!

I have had my G3s for a year now, and I paid full retail plus $150 upsize fee for mine. I definitely think they are well worth every penny and, when these give out, which I hope is not for a very long time, I'll get another pair.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Boychick, I appreciate the tip on the warranty.

For sure. I can fish with a medalist reel, fiberglass rod and traditional fly tying materials but I have to say after having simms waders for the last 12 yrs I could not go back to rubber/canvas waders. I think these waders have had the most positive impact on my fishing over any other new or improved product. They give me mobility and confidence to position myself for the best drifts and presentations.

My first pair of simms (guides) are still going (barely) with patches,etc. my second pair - original G3 have a couple patches and 1 tear on the knee (about 1 1/2" and covered with aquaseal) but no real leaks and just got another pair this past winter when I caught a good sale.

I'd rather (do) have a cheap rod and reel with good waders and a good leader than a $1000 rod/reel combo.

BTW - regarding the convertible section - you have to estimate how often that part will be under water - do you frequently wade that deep?

Yes! I've had mine for 2 years now. Love them to death. From using them hiking into small mountain streams in Colorado, to hiking into the gorge in Stroudsburg, best waders I've ever owned. Had the first sonic seams from Orvis, and they leaked. These waders are heavier and i do sweat in them in the summer, but dress accordingly. I love the hand warmer pocket. Basically everything i have that i fish with is Simms. Im a Simms junkie. I cant help but buy good gear!- Kev

I could have got a discount on the convertibles the last time I bought a pair, but I fell in love with the flip-out pouch on my first pair of G3 guides.

Kbobb, I never thought about how many times I wade over my waist. My closest guess would be every three trips.

Nymphingmaniac, that's been my argument to myself all day. The tippet tender flip out pocket would essentially replace a chest pack. I'll switch to a fly box and retire my chest pack to only brookie fishing. A Simms or Sage chest pack is ~$100 so then I'm only $50 to the difference, and that's worth it over the convertible for peace of mind. Basically I'm stuck between a rock and cheap place...

I bought a pair but way too early to tell. If they only last 5 years, no not worth it. And yeah, I have doubts, but willing to give em a try. I've never had breathables go past 2 before first leak or 2.5 to replacement time. Includes some major brands. But G3's are more than double the price, so the bar is more than twice the life.

If this doesn't work out I'll probably go back to $100 waders and replace at one and a half years. That seemed to be a hair better than the waders in the low 2 hundred dollar range trying to get 2 good years then limping into winter before cold and wet forces replacement. Yeah more expensive waders seem to last longer, but not enough to match the dollar per leak free hour measure. Comfort is nearly identical, and that includes the g3's so far, though they haven't met summer yet.

I think all the chest pouch stuff is totally useless for me. Ain't giving up my Richardson.

Pcray, you and I seem to be on the same page.

I said chest pack in my previous post, I meant chest box. I'm getting tired of digging through the bins and not having the flies divided to make better use of my time on the stream. But that's another issue.

G3's are definitely worth it. Can always send it it for a repair if a leak eventually does happen. As far as convertibles go, I own the regular G3's, when it's hot and I won't be wading deep I just roll the top down and tighten it with the wading belt.

You might be able to find a pair of 2013's on sale somewhere, as Simms just released an "improved" 2014 version.

Pcray, you and I seem to be on the same page.

Purely a guess. But my gut prediction would say they go somewhere between 3 and 4 years for me, assuming I treat them like the others and wade through briars, crawl on my knees, etc.

Which would make them simultaneously the best waders I've ever owned, and also not worth their price. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but I'll let you know in a couple of years. :)

Like you, I'm willing to pay for quality. But not overpay for quality. On a disposable product like breathable waders, quality is defined almost solely in terms of longevity. Greater than twice the price should mean greater than twice the life, not 1.5 times the life.

Quality can also be the assurance of knowing the waders won't let you down, particularly on a trip far from home for multiple days. Hard to put into a dollar value but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing simms generally last 5 yr than rolling the dice on a lesser pair with a 1 yr avg. longevity - either could go at any time but the odds are in my favor with simms. My fishing time is extremely valuable - don't get much time off work- and I'd hate to lose even a few hours cause I went cheap on waders.

And if they do give you a problem simms has a very large dealer network with good customer service and I bet they, or one of their dealers, would take care of you if you developed a leak on that big time trip out of state.

BFazz, I bought the only pair of discontinued G3's I could find in my size. Turns out the inventory was wrong and the waders weren't available.

Pcray, once again I agree 100% with your recent post and that is how I'm viewing the purchase. By the sounds of it we fish similar terrain as well.

Kbobb, I can see your point. I don't do much out of state fishing at the moment, but who knows what the future may hold.

It's inevitable, if you bushwhack or scramble up and down rocky gorges like many of us, they will leak quicker. I found a pair on deep discount at an LL bean out of state and bought it hoping it would hold up but no such luck. They were , on the other hand, the most comfortable waders I have owned.

Back