Simms felt sole or Cabela's Rubber/Stud

KeithS

KeithS

I picked up a pair of Cabela's Guidewear Pro, rubber soled/ studded wading boots. They worked out pretty well on the Perk yesterday morning, even without the studs. I was in too much of a hurry to put them in, besides, why not try the boots out each way they can be used, right?
It turns out that they seemed to stretch a little when wet. The problem was the width. After I had been in for a while, I had to tighten them up considerably.
Having the small feet that I do, (71/2 most of the time), I'm thinking the size 8's may be better than the 9's that I tried on in the store over my new waders ( Frogg Togg Canyon stocking foots).
They had Simms G3 felt soles in the Bargain Cave for $73.00. I didn't get them because of the lack of studs and the uproar over Didymo. Now, since I have to go back to try on the 8's in the Cabela's boots, I'm rethinking my brand decision. I wish I could pop the $200.00 for the Simms, but that would be stupid for me. I don't do this for a living.
Can anyone weigh in on the topic? I've heard rumors on banning felt altogether for 2012 and I don't want to waste my gift card.

I bought my Cabela's branded wading boots 3 years ago, and have worn them constantly. They're the ~$50 studded felt ones, and are basically falling apart on me now. Still, they've been put through alot and I'd just as soon buy another pair, as I feel they've definatly given me their cost in service.

I bought mine one size bigger, and one size wider. Like you, it feels like they can vary in size, but I find that really cinching the laces tight up and down the whole boot, and using a nice, thick sock really helps my foot comfort. The place where I really get an issue is sometimes it feels like they're crushing my toes depending on how long I'm standing in the deeper water.

MAybe I'll try some other combinations before I run back to Hamburg. The water has cooled off a ot and I will be wearing thicker socks soon. I COULD also add an insole.

I constantly find myself having to adjust the tension on the laces on my boots as well, but I'm sure they're the right size in length. I generally say go 1 size bigger, anything above that can get sloppy, but it's always good to try your waders on with the boot. Some lasts are wider than the others. I have noticed that most of the lightweight boots are almost always a more narrow last than some of the others. Bean, I think is one of a few that makes a wide version of a lightweight boot. Or at least they did.

I need to buy a new pair of wading boots myself.

Does anyone know if the felt soles will be outlawed anytime soon ?

I could be wrong, but I doubt they'll ever be outlawed to use. IF anything happens, the law will be against selling them.

For me, I will not use the old fashioned hard rubber, too dangerous, I'd much rather be diligent about cleaning. I'm willing to give the newfangled "grippy" rubbers a try, as soon as they make their way to boots in the $50 range.

I didn't think $79.99 was too far out for rubber w/ opotional studs.
The rubber soles worked great. I just have to remember where boulders are when the water is up vs. this past summer. The grip was good, I felt confident on all types of rocks, some with moss, most without. The studs should help, unless they don't grab on boulders. I'll find out next Saturday or Sunday.

I took the rubber sole studded boots back. Saturday was an exercise in futility. I'm surprised I didn't drown, even with the studs. These had NIO grab on anything.
I got the Cabela's ultralight felt studded. My old NONstudded felt Weinbrenners were great. Let's see if these are as good. We'll see how they work next Saturday.

what boots u wear depends on the streams u fish , erie - shale bottom -anythinf works , muddy silt bottom - anything works , rocky slippery bottom - felt studded !! period , would not take a pair of rubber studed or not without felt . forget it

Back