Simms felt bottom repair

F

Fly5

I bought a pair of Simms Freestone wading boots from a friend a couple years ago. They were an older style but never used. They had felt bottoms with studs. The felt is starting to pull away from the boot, the felt and studs are still in excellent condition. I guess I could send them in to Simms but wonder if there is another fix? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Use "Goop". You can get it at Home Depot. Works perfectly for that.

I have some Simms Rock Creek wading boot that the felt was separating in spots. One boot, it was pretty much half the sole. Come to think of it, I think it was the sole with the felt on it, that separated from the uppers.

Anyway I reattached the soles to the uppers with Touchdown contact cement. If it's the felt coming loose from the sole, the contact cement should also work for that repair. You may have to double coat the felt though.

I repaired the boots last year, and have a good bit of hours on the boots since the repair. There still holding up well. Probably better than new.

I used the Touchdown brand contact cement because I already had some in my garage. I believe Barge cement is the usual brand recommended for the repair, but other similar solvent base contact cement should also work.

Simms might tell you that they have to replace the soles with new ones - and charge you for it also.

It's an easy repair. I would do it yourself
Just make sure the boots are completely dry first. And dig out any dirt and debris from between the soles and felt.
After glueing, clamp or duct tape the two surfaces together tight until the glue dries. I wait over night.

Thanks for the replies. I agree On doing it myself, and yes Simms would probably put on new felt even though the felt is fine. Not a knock on them as they need to make money. If I can find the barge cement I will give that a go.

Back